History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Block to Lane Close Mills to Rear of Numbers 742 to 766 Great Horton Road and Fronting Bartle Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Horton, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7783 / 53°46'41"N

Longitude: -1.7901 / 1°47'24"W

OS Eastings: 413926

OS Northings: 431348

OS Grid: SE139313

Mapcode National: GBR J9R.64

Mapcode Global: WHC9G.G9SB

Entry Name: Main Block to Lane Close Mills to Rear of Numbers 742 to 766 Great Horton Road and Fronting Bartle Lane

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336114

Location: Bradford, BD7

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Great Horton

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Great Horton St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 BARTLE LANE
Upper Green
Horton BD7

Main block to Lane Close Mills to

rear of Nos 742 to 766 Great

Horton Road and fronting Bartle Lane
SE 1331 49/254

II


2.
A fairly early worsted mill built in 1841 and extended in 1847. The mill was built
to the order of Samuel Dracys, an important Horton mill owner and inventor of the
card cutting machine. Two long, 2-storey, sandstone "brick" ranges parallel with
the road. Stone slate roofs with block brackets to the eaves. Ashlar lintels and
sills to close set fenestration. Segmental voussoir archways to each range with
dated keystones. Later C19 link between the 2 ranges. Three-storey rear wing to
1841 block, the gable end surmounted by a bellcot and containing an oculus. Some of
the windows on the rear elevations and wing retain original small pane glazing. In
rear yard of 1847 part is a doorway flanked by octagonal piers.


Listing NGR: SE1392631348

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.