History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lane Head House

A Grade II Listed Building in Idle and Thackley, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8523 / 53°51'8"N

Longitude: -1.6941 / 1°41'38"W

OS Eastings: 420222

OS Northings: 439602

OS Grid: SE202396

Mapcode National: GBR JRMW.1T

Mapcode Global: WHC93.YFGM

Entry Name: Lane Head House

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133323

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336060

Location: Bradford, LS19

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Idle and Thackley

Built-Up Area: Yeadon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Yeadon St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Guiseley

Listing Text

1.
5111 APPERLEY LANE
Rawdon

Lane Head House
SE 23 NW 6/634

II GV


2.
Probably built as the steward's house for Esholt Estate, circa 1710-20. A fine
substantial house of 3 storeys regularly coursed grit stone with a 5 bay south front.
Extended circa 1800 and with 1911 rebuilding of west front. Apparently originally
of 2 storeys heightened mid C18. Chamfered quoins to ground and first floors, quoin
pilasters to top floor. Moulded sill courses and deeply moulded modillion bracket
eaves cornice. Hipped stone slate roof. Tall cavetto corniced chimneys. Tall
windows to ground and first floors with architrave surrounds and central doorway of
similar proportions in same surround with cornice. The top floor has square windows
in architraves, the central one with scrolled head and keystone and shallow apron
carried down to sill course. Late C18 glazing bar sashes. The east return is of
2 original bays with circa 1800 extension with large square surround windows, glazing
altered. Modern ground floor extension. The extension has been altered in
conversion to flats. The design of the south front relates to Esholt Hall itself
and possibly the same person, Joseph Pope of Farnley, was involved.


Listing NGR: SE2022239602

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.