This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.716 / 53°42'57"N
Longitude: -1.6358 / 1°38'9"W
OS Eastings: 424130
OS Northings: 424457
OS Grid: SE241244
Mapcode National: GBR KT0G.NN
Mapcode Global: WHC9Q.VV6M
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134620
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340966
Location: Kirklees, WF17
Electoral Ward/Division: Batley West
Built-Up Area: Batley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Batley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 22 SW BATLEY MB STOCKS LANE
29.3.63 Church of All Saints
Perpendicular Church. Circa 1485, incorporating parts of C.13
Church. Restored 1872-3 by Walter Hanstock. Deeply coursed
stone. Stone slate roof. West tower, nave and chancel with
lean-to aisles, south porch, recent vestry to north. Corbelled
out machicolated and castellated parapet with tall square pinnacles.
2-light louvred and traceried openings to bell chamber. Four 2-
light square headed clerestory windows to nave. Buttressed aisles
with 2, 3 and 4 light square headed windows some with round arched
lights, some with stained glass. Some have been restored.
Decorated south doorway. 5-light traceried Perpendicular east
window with 4-light and 3-light square headed window with round
arched lights to left and right respectively.
3 bay Decorated south arcade, c.1330, with quatrefoil piers and
double chamfered arches. North arcade c.1485, of octagonal piers
with double chamfered arches. Chancel arch in the base of which
south side is a narrow rood stair with ogee head. The Mirfield
Chapel to north founded c.1485 has completely preserved parclose
screen, and contains 2 alabaster effigies of Sir William and Lady
Anne Mirfield, c.1496, on stone tomb chest with low relief carving
of a series of ladies holding shields. The Lady Chapel, to south,
has parclose screen probably later C.16, the cornice band of which
is decorated with shields, mermen and dragons. The screen was
restored in 1852 using cast iron. 8 sided, ribbed font dated 1662.
South aisle window contains a crucifixion scene made up of fragments
of C.14 glass.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1979.
Listing NGR: SE2413324456
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings