This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7042 / 53°42'15"N
Longitude: -1.6411 / 1°38'27"W
OS Eastings: 423791
OS Northings: 423149
OS Grid: SE237231
Mapcode National: GBR JTZL.HW
Mapcode Global: WHC9X.R5Q3
Entry Name: Hyrstlands
Listing Date: 13 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340968
Location: Kirklees, WF17
Metropolitan District Ward: Batley East
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Dewsbury Team Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 22 SW BATLEY MB TRACK ROAD
Large detached house, now approved school. Dated 1891. Built as
private residence of Sir Mark Oldroyd, MP and local mill owner.
Ashlar. Double pile, hipped slate roof with moulded eaves cornice.
Ashlar stacks with cornices. 2 storeys. 7 bays by 5 with moulded
string course between floors. Bays are divided by rusticated
pilasters to ground floor and paired Ionic pilasters to 1st floor
which are surmounted by ball finials on moulded bases. Entrance
front of 7 bays. The central bay breaks forward and is surmounted
by square attic tower with pyramidal roof, and with clasping
pilasters. Small pediment over window with ornately carved
surround and flanked by tapering pilasters. Entrance and single
light to each side, each have blind arch with elaborately carved
foliage. Small shield over door with initials M.O. 1st floor
oriel window with cornice and balustrade over. 3 bays to right
include canted bay and conservatory.
Garden front has canted bay to left with cornice and balustrade.
At 1st floor level is carved panel with date 1891 flanked by pilasters
surmounted by carved pediment. To right, each floor has large
3-light window. Right side elevation of 5 bays of single sashes
with architraves. (Ground floor centre window is 2-light).
Pediment surmounts centre bay which breaks forward slightly.
Left elevation has covered link to recent building.
Good interior with many original fittings including panelling and
carved fireplaces. Hall has gallery with carved balusters. Wooden
staircase with panelled dado. Pedimented doors. Some fitted
furniture including sideboard and bookcases.
Listing NGR: SE2379123149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings