This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9235 / 53°55'24"N
Longitude: -1.3276 / 1°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 444252
OS Northings: 447695
OS Grid: SE442476
Mapcode National: GBR MR52.C8
Mapcode Global: WHDB1.LN00
Entry Name: Walton Old Hall
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Last Amended: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135036
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342058
Location: Walton, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Walton
Built-Up Area: Thorp Arch
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe
Church of England Diocese: York
SE44NW WALTON SMIDDY HILL
LS23 (west side)
2/135 Walton Old Hall 1
2.9.52 (formerly listed as
Manor house. Rebuilt early C18 by Nicholas or John Fairfax (Speight, p.395);
extended later (Speight p.387); extensive C20 alterations. Irregularly-
coursed magnesian limestone rubble, stone slate roof. L-shaped plan: 2
storeys, 1:3 windows to 1st floor on north side. Quoins; double-chamfered,
mullioned windows (mostly renewed). Gabled wing projecting on left has 4-
light window beneath an old, transomed 4-light window; main range set back on
right has a plain doorway on left of a 3-light window and small lean-to
addition beyond; 3-light window to 1st floor flanked by 2-light windows.
Stone stacks to eaves on left and to ridge of hipped main-range roof on
right. C20 porch on south side flanked by 5-light windows to left and 2- and
3-light windows on right. Left return: lean-to beneath an original 3-light
Interior not inspected. Built on the site of the ancestral home of the
Fairfax family known to have lived here since the 14th century; the
descendants including Robert Fairfax, composer, c1500 (previous list
description) and Sir Guy Fairfax, prominent Yorkist in the Wars of the Roses.
Used as a girls' boarding school in the C19.
H. Speight,Lower Wharfedale, 1902.
NMR (full photographic record of house prior to C20 renovation).
Listing NGR: SE4425247695
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings