This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.661 / 53°39'39"N
Longitude: -1.5548 / 1°33'17"W
OS Eastings: 429515
OS Northings: 418368
OS Grid: SE295183
Mapcode National: GBR KVL3.5C
Mapcode Global: WHCB5.27WR
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Leonard
Listing Date: 15 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342495
Location: Wakefield, WF4
Electoral Ward/Division: Horbury and South Ossett
Built-Up Area: Horbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Horbury St Peter and St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2918 HORBURY CHURCH STREET
9/2 Church of St. Peter and
15.2.66 St. Leonard.
Church. 1791-3. By John Carr at his own expense (£8,000). The vestry was
added in 1884, and the rotunda and spire rebuilt 1899. The 1st World War
commemorative south chapel was added in 1920. Ashlar. Grey slate roof.
West tower, 5-bay nave with octagonal ends and 3-bay north and south
transept-like wings, vestry to north-east and chapel to south-east. In
Classical style. The square tower is in 4 reducing stages: the 1st of smooth
ashlar with round-arched and square windows, the 2nd rusticated with a
central clock, the 3rd with round-arched bell-chamber openings and paired
pilasters, the 4th similar with recessed-angle columns and surmounted by a
colonnaded rotunda with a fluted, conical spire. The nave has tall, round-
arched windows. The south wing has 4 Ionic columns supporting a dentilled
pediment in the form of a giant portico. Central, 8-panel, double-door with
pediment. Round-arched ground-floor windows, square windows at high level.
The pediment and frieze are inscribed:
HANC AEDEM SACRAH
PIETATIS IN DEUM ET AMORIS
IN SOLUM NATALE MONIMENTUM
PROPRIIS SUMPTIBUS EXTRUXIT JOANNES CARR ARCHITECTUS
ANNO CHRISTI MDCCXC1
GLORIA DEO IN EXCELSIS
The north wing is relatively plain with central entrance with architrave and
pediment. The vestry has a round-arched entrance with a 6-panel door flanked
by tapering pilasters supporting a frieze and cornice, above which is a
pedimented tablet with scrolled support. The tablet is inscribed in capital
letters: "THIS VESTRY IS ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN COMMEMORATION OF
THE FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF THE INSTITUTION OF THE REV. JOHN SHARP TO THE
CURE OF THIS PARISH, AS A TOKEN OF THEIR AFFECTIONATE REGARD, BY THE
PARISHIONERS AND OTHER FRIENDS. HORBURY NOVEMBER 16th 1884."
Interior: bay divisions marked by giant, fluted Corinthian pilasters, with
columns to the 'transepts'. Tuscan columns support a west gallery, with a
wooden panelled front, which contains the organ. The shallow-vaulted ceiling
has elaborate frieze, is panelled and terminates in a shallow segmental
coving over the segmental-apse ends. Door and window openings are
elaborately treated. Octagonal panelled pulpit with tester, is dated 1917
and was erected in memory of Richard and Martha Ann Popplewell d. 1904 and
1914 by their children. Green/brown marble communion rail. Straight-backed
panelled pews with rounded ends. Panelled dado. White marble tablet in
north transept to Harriet Elizabeth Carr, d. March 12th 1841, an allegorical
kneeling woman by an urn, signed T. Tilney of York. A marble tablet on the
north wall, east end to Robert Carr, Architect, d.December 3rd MDCCLX, also
Rosa Carr d.MDCCLXXIV. A marble tablet on the south wall, east end, to
Johannis Carr the architect d.7th March MDCCVII. The stained glass is mainly
post World War I. The church is on the site of a Norman church of c.1100 and
probably a Saxon church before that. An important and prominant landmark in
N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1967.
D. Linstrum. West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, 1978.
C. Cudworth. PhotooraDhs of Old Horbury, 1973.
Listing NGR: SE2951918372
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings