History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton Tony, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.161 / 51°9'39"N

Longitude: -1.69 / 1°41'24"W

OS Eastings: 421772

OS Northings: 140242

OS Grid: SU217402

Mapcode National: GBR 50D.5K8

Mapcode Global: VHC31.N2DS

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 18 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135699

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320007

Location: Newton Tony, Wiltshire, SP4

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Newton Tony

Built-Up Area: Newton Tony

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Newton Tony St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Cholderton

Listing Text

NEWTON TONY NEWTON TONEY
SU 24 SW
(north east side)
2/112 Church of St Andrew
18.2.58
II

Anglican parish church. 1844, by T.H. Wyatt and Brandon. Flint
with limestone dressings. Tiled roofs. Four bay nave with south
porch at west end, raised as steeple. Two bays chancel with lean-
to vestry. Nave has 2-light Decorated style windows between
buttresses, 3-light reticulated west window and 3-light east
window. Continuous string at window sill level. Chancel has
single light south window. Porch has moulded south door and angle
buttresses, raised as bell tower, with 2-light bell openings and
capped with shingled broach spire. Bench mark on tower.
Interior: Nave, rendered, of 5 bays. Open roof with tie beam
trusses bracketed from wall corbels, king post and arch braces
forming two pointed arches. Chancel arch chamfered, chancel cement
finished, 2 bays with cruck-like braces from carved corbels to a
high collar. Fittings: Font, at west end, probably C13, a bowl on
a short column on step. Pulpit, reading desk, sanctuary rail and
altar table all of carved oak. Monuments: In chancel, 2 wall
tablets on north side, (a) Corniced white panel on veined black
marble, to Price family, 1824 to 1864. (b) Gothic niche, to John
Peill, rector, died 1872, both by Osmund of Sarum. In nave: 12
wall monuments. North wall from east, (a) Large Purbeck marble
panel. Mid C17. Moulded edge and engraved arms. Good lettering,
to Nathaniell Fiennes, son of 'Lord Say and Seale', died 1669, his
wife Frances, died 1691, daughters Frances and Elizabeth, and
surviving daughters Mary and Cecilia (Celia) Fiennes, diarist and
traveller, who died at Hackney, 10th April 1741. (b) Marble,
panelled with strapwork border, painted shield set at angle above,
and crest and motto. To Sir Alexander Malet Bt, royal envoy and
minister to the Germanic Federation. He died 1886. (c) Marble
panel with tapered pilasters, triangular apron, and pair of
entwined wreaths against grey field. To Henry and Ann Earle, died
1791. On west wall: (d) Fossil limestone tablet, to Lt.Col Sir
Harry Malet, died 1931, and (e) Classical marble aedicule with
broken pediment and bust in niche. Panel below with inscription to
Dame Marion Malet, died 1891. On south wall (f) Alabaster and
serpentine monument in C17 style. Gilded inscription flanked by
columns, entablature supporting coloured and mantled supported
arms. Strapwork apron below. To Sir Edward Malet, died 1908. (g)
Purbeck marble panel. Latin inscription with incised skull and
crossed bones below, to Ann Jones, died 1652. Poor condition. (h)
White marble panel framed in grey marble. Short inscription to
William Benson Earle, died 1796. (i) Simple marble panel with ogee
top, to Harriett Wapshare, died 1814. (j) White marble tablet on
grey, by Osmund of Sarum. Pediment with crossed swords, and arms
in garter. To George Granville Malet, died in action in Persia,
1856. Also 8 other C19 and C20 Malet brasses including one cast
bronze, a child guided by angel, to Sir Charles Malet, died 1918.
Brass framed in wood, commemorating various members of family of
William Benson of Wilbury, from 1721 to 1790. Over door: Carved
and gilded Royal Arms with shield of pretence. Furniture: Large
C17 panelled and carved chest with divided lid.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire)


Listing NGR: SU2177240242

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.