This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0831 / 51°4'59"N
Longitude: -1.6979 / 1°41'52"W
OS Eastings: 421253
OS Northings: 131569
OS Grid: SU212315
Mapcode National: GBR 51C.3JL
Mapcode Global: FRA 76B8.2BY
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135702
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320013
Location: Pitton and Farley, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Pitton and Farley
Built-Up Area: Pitton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Farley with Pitton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
PITTON AND FARLEY CHURCH LANE, Pitton
SU 23 SW
7/118 Church of St Peter
Anglican parish church. C12, early C14 and restored 1878-1880 by
Ewan Christian. Flint with greensand dressings, tiled roofs,
copper to aisle. Nave with north aisle and vestry at right angles.
South porch raised as tower. Two light C14 windows to nave,
restored, with 3-light intersecting tracery west window.
Rectangular windows to chancel with a C19 3-light east window.
Porch has a shouldered 2-centred arch with hollow chamfer, and
benchmark. Bell chamber over, C19, with single lancets and a
pyramidal roof with wind vane of 1801. Inner door late C12, a
round arch with bowtell hood.
Interior: Nave has C19 polygonal trussed rafter roof. North arcade
of 3 bays on round columns and capitals, all C19. C12 capital
built in to east wall of nave. Chancel arch on corbels. Rere-
arches to windows in C13 style, possibly reproducing predecessors.
Open trussed rafter roof. Medieval piscina bowl set in sill of
south east window. Reredos of glazed tiles. Glass: east window,
1880 by C.E. Kempe. Fittings: Font, C12 bowl with double twisted
band, set on later column. Pulpit, oak, octagonal, C19. Clergy
desks and choir stalls with open carved foils. Sanctuary rail on
brass supports. Monuments: Incised slate tablet of Great War.
Brass, reset in chancel wall, to Edward Zouche, died 1580.
Listing NGR: SU2125331569
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings