History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Banwell Abbey the Cloisters

A Grade II* Listed Building in Banwell, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3282 / 51°19'41"N

Longitude: -2.8622 / 2°51'43"W

OS Eastings: 340022

OS Northings: 159136

OS Grid: ST400591

Mapcode National: GBR JC.WGS3

Mapcode Global: VH7CM.BWQ6

Entry Name: Banwell Abbey the Cloisters

Listing Date: 9 February 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135732

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33358

Location: Banwell, North Somerset, BS29

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Banwell

Built-Up Area: Banwell

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Banwell

Listing Text

ST 45 NW BANWELL EAST STREET (north side)

5/20 Banwell Abbey and The Cloisters
9.2.61
G.V. II*


2 houses, formerly one bishop's residence constructed within or on site of
monastic foundation. C14 and perhaps earlier, C15 and major reworkings in early
and late C19. (Hans Price, 1870). Rubble, ashlar, slate roofs. Main block;
6 windows between buttresses, 3 storeys, 4 in west tower, middle bay breaks
forward; mixed fenestration some 2 light mullioned under pointed dripmoulds,
some square headed; some sashes some casements; the whole battlemented, central
pediment bears crozier, end buttresses surmounted by finials; 3 stage polygonal
tower to. left with single pointed lights gargoyles and battlements; parallel
range has 2 embattled gables, a round headed entrance under an embattled, gabled
porch and 2 light windows under drips; in east gable is a substantial fragment
of a large perpendicular window. Various single storey rear outbuildings, all
gabled. Interior is a superb Victorian pastiche with a double height hall with
large dog leg staircase, ornate plastered rooms with flat arch fireplaces, some
of C16 origin. Former chapel and cloister; to right (east)of main block the
former chapel now has 2 storeys, at east end is a 3 light window of the C14 above
C20 plain chamfered surround windows, to south an embattled tower with single
lights and a porch in the re-entrant angle. C19 single storey wing which runs
north from former chapel has cusped 3 light windows and a pointed arch entrance
below battlements and between buttresses with finials. Interior contains
remnants of the cloister walk with 2 light C15 cusped windows. (Source:
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST4002259136

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.