History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Timsbury, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3266 / 51°19'35"N

Longitude: -2.4701 / 2°28'12"W

OS Eastings: 367338

OS Northings: 158714

OS Grid: ST673587

Mapcode National: GBR JW.WRCJ

Mapcode Global: VH899.4XHF

Entry Name: Parish's House

Listing Date: 21 September 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135909

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32873

Location: Timsbury, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Timsbury

Built-Up Area: Timsbury

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Timsbury

Listing Text

TIMSBURY C.P. -
ST 65 NE
2/21
Parish's House
21.9.60
G.V.
II*
House. Circa 1816 massive extension of earlier house, now office wing.
Attributed to Thomas Baldwin of Bath for Captain Parish R.N. Ashlar, rubble,
slate roofs. Main block, 3 bay by 3 bay square, has as unifying features, angle
pilasters, flat cill band and cornice, the entrance elevation has all sashes, those
at ground floor in marginally set back wings and then in turn in arched recesses,
they flank the central bay dominated by a large convex porch with Doric order,
side lights and central curved stone door under hood on consoles; garden
elevation has a central 2 storey bow,sashes above, french windows below recessed
panels between, all still fitted with original sliding louvred shutters, the whole
flanked by tri-partite sashes below, sashes above; the joining west elevation is
extremely plain, ground has tall sashes, centre blocked below recessed panels,
five plain sashes; office wing, also 2 storeys, 3 windows has, to garden
3 sashes above a colonnade now behind a C20 glazed conservatory and to entrance,
sashes with, off-centre right a round headed door with fanlight. Interior: very
little altered and in very good decorative order, inner porch and top lit stairwell
have a very subtle play of curved planes, ornate wrought and cast iron handrail
intact as are doors, architraves, cornices, early blown air central heating
system. For further description see source. (Source: Christopher Hussey :
Country Life, XCVI, 24-27 and 68-71, July, 1944).


Listing NGR: ST6733858714

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.