This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3648 / 51°21'53"N
Longitude: -2.6095 / 2°36'34"W
OS Eastings: 357665
OS Northings: 163036
OS Grid: ST576630
Mapcode National: GBR JQ.T6B8
Mapcode Global: VH890.QYBM
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 4 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32954
Location: Chew Magna, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Chew Magna
Built-Up Area: Chew Magna
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 56 SE CHEW MAGNA C.P. TUNBRIDGE ROAD (west side)
3/59 Baptist Chapel
Baptist chapel. Dated 1867 with later additions of 1887. Snecked sandstone and
limestone rubble, limestone dressings, brick, double Roman tiled roofs with raised
coped verges and kneelers. Rectangular chapel with hall attached to rear.
North elevation has pointed arched door in moulded architrave, hood mould with
rosettes and mask stops, stone plate tracery and quatrefoil in upper section of
door; large octofoil window above in plain surround with relieving arch,
datestone above and finial to gable; long and short quoins, band course ramped up
to window and returned under eaves to sides. 4-bay east elevation has round-
headed plate-glass sashes with margin glazing, band course below cills, returned
band course forms corbel table with corbels, plinth; heads of windows in banded
limestone and sandstone. To left, single storey connecting wing with parapet and
coping, door with shouldered architrave, relieving arch and keystone, round-
headed sash with banded head and keystone; 2nd connecting block to left has
similar door and round-headed window with ventilation louvres, limestone parapet
with recessed panels and coping. 2-storey hall to left in snecked rock-faced
limestone rubble has gable end to east with 2 tall lancets and bargeboards, dated
foundation stones and central datestone. Left return of hall has 3 large 4-pane
lights in plain architraves, rear of hall has 2 lancets as on front. West
elevation of chapel has 4 similar round-headed windows with brick heads, no band
courses; single storey lean-to to right with 2 doors and plate-glass sash.
Interior: balustraded dais at south end of chapel with twisted balusters;
original wooden pews.
Listing NGR: ST5766563036
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings