This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3241 / 51°19'26"N
Longitude: -2.324 / 2°19'26"W
OS Eastings: 377516
OS Northings: 158380
OS Grid: ST775583
Mapcode National: GBR 0R4.TH1
Mapcode Global: VH96T.NZQB
Entry Name: Hinton House
Listing Date: 1 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32520
Location: Hinton Charterhouse, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Hinton Charterhouse
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 75 NE HINTON CHARTERHOUSE
11/118 Hinton House
Country house, now with 3 service flats. Circa 1700, altered later in C18; altered
and enlarged in 1947-50s by Manners and Gill of Bath. Ashlar with hipped slate
roof behind a balustraded parapet with pedestals; urns on the end pedestals; moul-
ded eaves cornice and ashlar stacks. 2 storeys, on a moulded plinth and attics.
2:3:2 bays with French quoins at the ends. The centre 3 bays are slightly advan-
ced and surmounted by a pediment which has a central oval plaque. Glazing bar
sash windows in moulded architraves under arabesque decorated friezes, and pedi-
ments on the ground floor (alternate ones are open); moulded cills on brackets.
Central panelled door; Ionic porch with open pediment and central cartouche -
moved from the east elevation in the 1850s. 2 windows with 18-pane, thick glazing
bar sash windows and in bolection moulded surrounds on west elevation. Set back
2 storey, 2 bay wing at left with a conservatory extending from it: the conserva-
tory has a 6-bay arcade of Tuscan columns, glazed doors under fanlights, moulded
and coped parapet. The east side of the house was the original front: 2:6:2 bays,
the outer parts being c.1700 and having blocked glazing bar sash windows in bolec-
tion moulded surrounds. The 6-bay centre of the 1850s has French quoins and glaz-
ing bar sash windows in moulded architraves and under decorative friezes and pedi-
ments. 4-bay service wing to north. Interior: Mostly mid-C19 but some late C18
plasterwork survives. Large open staircase with decorative cast-iron balustrade
and square lantern. The house is thought to occupy the site of a monastic grange
and to have been first constructed in 1701.
Listing NGR: ST7751658380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings