History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warcop Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warcop, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5361 / 54°32'10"N

Longitude: -2.392 / 2°23'31"W

OS Eastings: 374734

OS Northings: 515721

OS Grid: NY747157

Mapcode National: GBR CHQZ.YP

Mapcode Global: WH937.776W

Entry Name: Warcop Hall

Listing Date: 12 September 1957

Last Amended: 21 June 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137455

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73389

Location: Warcop, Eden, Cumbria, CA16

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Warcop

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Warcop St Columba

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Warcop

Listing Text

WARCOP

B6259 WARCOP
(north side)

17/105
12.9.57

Warcop Hall
(formerly listed as
Wharton Hall)

G.V. II*

Large house of 3 main builds: west wing late C16; central block 1746 by Kelly;
east addition late C19. C16 wing of sandstone blocks, rendered. 1746 of ashlar
with horizontal grooving, rusticated quoins, moulded plinth, and eaves cornice.
C19 end coursed, squared rubble with quoins on chamfered plinth; corbels carry
embattled parapet. All roofs graduated slate; west wing has stone end chimney
with embattled cornice, central block has stone copings, kneelers and corniced
chimneys. 2 storeys. 4-bay west wing (end bay projecting) has 2-light
mullioned windows, mainly C19 reconstructions; original mullioned and transomed
window to 1st floor. 6-bay central block has 5 circular steps up to panelled
door in pedimented architrave with Ionic pilasters; 2 sashes to left, 3 to right
and 5 above, all with original wide glazing bars in architrave. Rainwater heads
to each end have heraldic device with motto FIDE ET AMORE. Single-bay C19
addition has 3-light mullioned and transomed window with mullioned 2-light
window above. Extensive C19 additions to rear: original Venetian stair window
to rear of central block.


Listing NGR: NY7473415721

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.