History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brockley, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3993 / 51°23'57"N

Longitude: -2.7692 / 2°46'9"W

OS Eastings: 346586

OS Northings: 166979

OS Grid: ST465669

Mapcode National: GBR JH.R24V

Mapcode Global: VH7CG.Y3D3

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 11 October 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137608

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33451

Location: Brockley, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Brockley

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Brockley

Listing Text

ST 46 NE BROCKLEY

6/43 CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
11.10.61
G.V. II*

Parish Church (Anglican). C12 altered C13 to, C15; altered c. 1820-30 for the
Smyth-Pigott family. West tower, nave, south porch; north and south chapels;
chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; lead roofs.
West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and an embattled parapet with
pinnacles; 2-light bell chamber openings with trefoil-headed lights; 3-light
west window and west door in moulded surround and hoodmould with lozenge stops;
projecting polygonal stair tower to north-east, embattled parapet. Nave has
3-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped heads to the tracery, square
hoodmould. South porch and chapel share a single pitched roof with carved demi-
figures as kneelers; 3-light windows with cusped ogee heads to the chapel;
double ogee moulded surround to outer doorway; blocked east window to chapel and
doorway with a brick ogee head. Chancel: 2 lancet windows, one with a cinquefoil
head; 2-light Perpendicular style east window with cusped ogee heads. The
north chapel has an early C19 4-light window. South doorway is early - mid C12
but probably re-cut: thin columns with square scalloped capitals and zigzag
moulded arch. Interior. Tower arch of 2 wave moulding. Double chamfered
arches to north and south chapels. Font, C12, circular bowl with small, blank
arches, fluted underside. Pulpit; in a highly elaborate Perpendicular style;
ashlar; blank panels of 2-lights with cusped heads; decorative base of foliage
and quatrefoil bands, panelled stem; 3 friezes with quatrefoils and foliage;
elaborate vaulted canopy with cusping and pinnacles. Behind the pulpit is a
moulded doorway with a 4-centred head. In the chancel immediately west of the
east windows are 2 square corbels, possibly for lenten purposes. Box pews;
Gothick to the chancel. Gothick fireplace to the south of Pigott chapel, with
pinnacles and Pigott arms. Reredos: in an elaborate Perpendicular style of
1820-30, quatrefoils, cusped ogee panels and canopy, pinnacles. Chandelier
brass, probably early - mid C18. Glass, particularly by W.R. Eginton c.1824-29
for J.H. Smyth - Pigott. Chancel: east window, S.S. Peter and Paul with the
Holy Spirit as a dove; north-east window, St. Nicholas and a kneeling child;
north-west window, 2 nimbed bishops; south-west window, an ecclesiastic
wearing a skull cap, probably Thomas Coward; south-east window, Edward the
Confessor, the head is by R. Bell. Pigott chapel: Nicholas and Dorothy Wadham
flank Edward I, heraldry above. Nave: Archbishop Chichele, William of Wykeham
and Thomas Mowbray with heraldry above. Monuments. Nave: 3 funeral hatchments
of Pigott family dated 1727, 1794 and 1816; Royal Arms of 1842. Pigott chapel:
Colonel John Pigott, probably c.1790 with dates of 1730, 1794 and later, coloured
marbles, inscribed plaque with an urn and the Pigott arms; J. Pigott, died 1811,
inscribed marble plaque, weeping woman and an urn; Wadham Pigott, died 1823, by
Chantrey; inscribed marble plaque, kneeling woman, draped urn on a pedestal and
the profiles of Pigott. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset
and Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1250-1830,
1946).


Listing NGR: ST4658666979

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.