This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4227 / 51°25'21"N
Longitude: -2.694 / 2°41'38"W
OS Eastings: 351844
OS Northings: 169532
OS Grid: ST518695
Mapcode National: GBR JL.PP2B
Mapcode Global: VH88S.8H5P
Entry Name: Farleigh Hospital and the Church of St George
Listing Date: 27 June 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33480
Location: Flax Bourton, North Somerset, BS48
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Flax Bourton
Built-Up Area: Cambridge Batch
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 56 NW OLD WESTON ROAD (North-west
7/154 Farleigh Hospital and the Church
of St. George
Workhouse for the Bedminster Union, now a hospital. 1837-8 by Scott and Moffat.
Chapel and arcade, dated 1860 by John Norton. The hospital is constructed of
ashlar and coursed, squared rubble; C20 tiled and slate roofs; ashlar stacks.
At the front is an administrative block with a tall central archway with imposts,
a rusticated voussoirs and a keystone dated 1838, surmounted by a pediment. Flanking
single storey, 5 bay wings with glazing bar sash windows and wide, plain pilasters;
the 3rd and 4th windows project in a square bay under a hipped roof; eaves band and
cornice. At the right is a later, low 3 bay extension. Setback behind and at each
side of the administrative block are 6 bay blocks. These connect with the north-east
and south-west blocks of the inner courtyard: 3 storeys; 7 bays, the last one
recessed, to the north; and 6 bays to the south, the last one advanced; all with
4-pane south windows. The rear block has an octagonal, 4 storey central block;
alternate bays are advanced and surmounted by a pediment; central C20 door; clock
on top storey and plain band between second and top floor; glazing bar sash windows;
flanking 3 storey wings of 5 bays. At the rear is the kitchen block: 2 storeys with
a hipped slate roof; l:2:2:2:2:2:l bays of 4-pane sash windows, as an E-plan with the
outer bays projecting as taller, flanking wings; the kitchen wing is connected by
a single storey corridor (now broken through) to the main block. To the south-west
of the administrative block an arcaded walk extends for 9 bays (broken in the centre)
and it leads to the chapel. The chapel (Church of St George is of coursed, squared
rubble with freestone dressings and quoins, and with a plain tiled roof. Nave,
north and south transepts, chancel and vestry, all in an early C13 style with plate
tracery. Two 2-light windows with cusped heads to the nave; two similar windows
to the chancel; 3-light windows to the transepts. 5-light south east window.
4-light north-west window with a foiled circle above. Bell turret on north-west
gable. The interior retains the Early English style font and pulpit. All other
buildings are excluded.
Listing NGR: ST5184469532
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings