History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatcombe Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Long Ashton, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4257 / 51°25'32"N

Longitude: -2.6839 / 2°41'1"W

OS Eastings: 352547

OS Northings: 169859

OS Grid: ST525698

Mapcode National: GBR JL.PKLT

Mapcode Global: VH88S.FFHC

Entry Name: Gatcombe Court

Listing Date: 16 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137925

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33492

Location: Long Ashton, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Long Ashton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Flax Bourton

Listing Text

ST 56 NW LONG ASHTON ASHTON WATERING

7/95 Gatcombe Court

G.V. II*

Court or manor house. Late C14 - C15; altered mid - late C17 and C20.
Rubble with freestone dressings; double Roman tiled roofs at different levels;
rendered diagonal stacks. 2 storeys; and attics in 2 steep gables with ball
finials to the left (west) part. 4 bays to south elevation with the gable end
of the east wing at the far right. The ground floor has two canted bay windows
with glazing bar sashes (1930's) to the left; an off-centre projecting, square
ashlar porch with a moulded cornice and a C19 panelled and glazed door; to the
right is a C17 1:3:1-light bay window with ovolo moulded mullions, transoms and
surrounds. On the first floor to the left are 2-light cross windows under a
continuous string course and to the right are 2 glazing bar sash windows;
2-light cross windows in the attic. West elevation. 2 bays to the left with
4- and 3-light casement windows in ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds and
decorative iron catches; lozenge and square panelled door to right in a moulded
frame. At the far right is the projecting gable end of a mediaeval wing:
remains of a 2-light window with cusped ogee heads and under a square dripmould
in the re-entrant wall; 3-light window with hollow chamfered mullions and cusped
ogee heads, under a square dripmould, in gable end wall. Interior. Rear
(north-east) room has remains of an ashlar fireplace with an ogee-hollow moulded
lintel and jamb; pointed valuted plaster ceiling to chamber above. The main
part of the house has an open well staircase, dated RS 1683, with a closed and
moulded string, turned balusters and acorn finials; nearby is a studded and
panelled door, dated A/1S 1664


Listing NGR: ST5254769859

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.