History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Petches Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Finchingfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9585 / 51°57'30"N

Longitude: 0.4694 / 0°28'9"E

OS Eastings: 569770

OS Northings: 231774

OS Grid: TL697317

Mapcode National: GBR PGT.5H7

Mapcode Global: VHJJ3.310D

Entry Name: Petches Farmhouse

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139047

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115212

Location: Finchingfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Finchingfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Finchingfield St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 63 SE FINCHINGFIELD PETCHES BRIDGE ROAD
(west side)

3/70 Petches Farmhouse
2.5.55

- II

House. Circa 1300 and late C15, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered,
roofed with handmade red clay tiles. A manor house of complex and unusual plan.
(1) 4-bay 2-storey range, c.1300, aligned NE-SW, with early C17 internal stack
near the middle (2) parallel staircase hall to SE, C17 and later (3) parallel 3-
bay 2-storey wing to SE, late C15, with jetty to SIi, and early C17 external
stack at side (4) 2-bay open hall, late C15, to SE of SW end. Single-storey
lean-to extensions to SE and in E angle. The house now faces NE, but the jetty
suggests that originally it faced SW. 2 storeys, and hall of one storey with
attics. NE elevation, 3 C20 casements on ground floor, 5 on first floor, of
which one is in a gabled dormer. C20 door. 4 twisted octagonal shafts on main
stack, restored. The interior of the NW range has unjowled posts, bridging
beams with chamfered fillets, splayed and undersquinted scarfs in one wallplate
and the collar-purlin, and crownpost roof with braces of wide section up to the
collar-purlin and down to the tiebeams, incomplete. This is a strange building,
and it has been suggested that originally it formed a first-floor hall. The 3-
bay range, of similar length, has chamfered beams, heavy joists of wide section
jointed to them with unrefined soffit tenons, and a crownpost roof with thin
axial braces only, some missing. The hall has a side-purlin roof with
conspicuous arched wind-bracing; the central tiebeam and braces to it have been
removed. There are 2 early ledged 3-plank doors, one on its original strap-
hinges, and one upper room is lined with early C17 oak panelling. RCHM 8.


Listing NGR: TL6977031774

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.