This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5217 / 51°31'18"N
Longitude: -0.1218 / 0°7'18"W
OS Eastings: 530403
OS Northings: 181986
OS Grid: TQ304819
Mapcode National: GBR J8.TN
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T0ZR
Entry Name: Number 33 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139093
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477824
Location: Camden, London, WC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW QUEEN SQUARE
798-1/100/1363 (East side)
and attached railings
Terraced house. Probably late C18, altered c1890 for St
Catherine's Convent (allegedly by JD Sedding) and restored
after a fire early C20. Yellow stock brick with stone 1st
floor sill band and 3rd floor modillion cornice. 4 storeys and
basement. 3 windows. Doorcase of c1890, probably of stone (now
painted) with console-bracketed cornice, broken segmental
pediment containing an orb and cross, and roundels with
emblems of St Catherine's Convent in spandrels above round
arch of doorway. Panelled door with legend above 'In Omnibus
Glorificetur Deus' and fanlight. Gauged brick flat arches to
recessed sashes; ground floor in red brick round-arched
shallow recesses with moulded impost bands. Parapet. Lead
rainwater head. INTERIOR retaining original plan form but now
bare of Georgian decorative features.
Behind the house, the former convent chapel (now hospital
laundry), probably by Sedding, c1890. Stock brick walls and
shallow pitched roof, nave with two passage aisles and small
north transept. Simple late Gothic style with tracery in end
windows and in north window of transept chapel. INTERIOR
entirely subdivided for laundry but with some dado panelling
remaining and stained glass in transept window.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with torch
flambe finials to areas.
HISTORICAL NOTE: St Catherine's Convent was a branch of the
Anglican convent of the Society of St Margaret, East
Grinstead. The sisters became Roman Catholics c1900 and the
convent was then shut.
Listing NGR: TQ3040381986
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings