History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7, Blanch Croft

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.824 / 52°49'26"N

Longitude: -1.4292 / 1°25'44"W

OS Eastings: 438562

OS Northings: 325319

OS Grid: SK385253

Mapcode National: GBR 6G2.ZDK

Mapcode Global: WHDHF.08QW

Entry Name: 7, Blanch Croft

Listing Date: 22 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140133

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352058

Location: Melbourne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Melbourne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourne St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Melbourne

Listing Text

The following shall be added:
SK 3825 MELBOURNE BLANCH CROFT
(south east side)
1059- /6/10001 No.7
II
House and textile workshop, empty at time of inspection. Circa 1800, with minor C19
alterations. Red brick with a slated roof and gable stacks. One and a half bays deep, with first
floor frame shop above ground floor service room in half bay to street frontage. North-west
elevation; 2 storeys 2 bays with combined door and window opening to south-west below
shallow segmental brick arch. C20 6-panel door and window frame. To the right, a 2-light
horizontal sliding sash window, each light of 12 panes below a segmental brick arch. To the
left, a plain planked door gives access to a separate, but integral store, possibly formerly
heated. First floor frame shop window, once continuous, now divided into 3, 3 light
windows, each light of 4 panes, the central light opening. Brickwork blocking subdivides the
former single opening. Above openings, a dog-toothed eaves course. Rear elevation;
off-centre doorway below segmental arch, with 4-panel door, the upper panels now glazed.
Stacked 2-light windows, each light of 4 panes flank the doorway. These frames incorporate
single opening hopper lights, and are modified earlier frames. Ground floor openings have
wedge lintels with integral advanced keyblocks, those above are set within plain surrounds
below a dog-toothed eaves course.Interior; rear doorway leads to shallow lobby at the foot
of stairway made extra wide to serve as the access to the frame shop. Flanking ground floor
rooms retain many early features, including panelled cupboard doors with original
ironmongery, skirtings and dado rails. One room retains a C19 hearth with grate and cornice
mantleshelf. The 2 chambers above retain their hearths, and although the former frame shop
has now been subdivided, its former extent may be clearly seen. Other items of interest
include 2 ledged and braced doors, and 2, 2 panel doors, all in pegged surrounds. The
building is a near-complete example of the textile outworkshop as an integral component
of the dwelling-house in an expanding settlement upon which the textile industry was having
a significant impact circa 1800.


Listing NGR: SK3856225319

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.