This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1579 / 50°9'28"N
Longitude: -5.0174 / 5°1'2"W
OS Eastings: 184568
OS Northings: 33009
OS Grid: SW845330
Mapcode National: GBR ZH.G58N
Mapcode Global: FRA 08CL.YYP
Entry Name: Church of St Mawes
Listing Date: 25 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63050
Location: St. Just-in-Roseland, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: St. Just-in-Roseland
Built-Up Area: St Mawes
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: St Just-in-Roseland
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 84 33 ST JUST IN ROSELAND CHURCH HILL (west side)
6/88 CHURCH OF ST MAWES and wall with
Anglican church and wall with railings to south. Circa 1870's. Dressed roughly
coarsed shale, limestone and sandstone with granite quoins and window frames with
brick quoins to buttresses and brick cornice. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable
ends. Slates laid to form alternate bands of plain and fishscale decoration.
Pierced, chevron, crested clay ridge tiles. 2 stage, slate hung bellcote with
sprocketted pyramidal slate roof with ball and cross finial over west end. Chancel
roof at slightly lower level. Nave, narrower chancel and south porch at west end.
Early English influence. South wall has steep gabe-ended porch left with shaped
slates to verge and moulded eaves cornice. Red sandstone walls. Central granite
pointed moulded doorway with hood mould. Original pair of boarded doors. 4
weathered buttresses to nave wall and three, 3-light lancets with relieving arches.
Moulded eaves cornice also to chancel, right, set back slightly which has 2-light
window with quatrefoil tracery. North wall similar except to west end where it is
linked to school room. 4-light west window has intersecting tracery. 3-light,
chancel, east window has tracery with 3 trefoils.
Interior is unaltered with 4-bay arch brace pitch pine, roof to nave with bracing
springing from granite corbels. Intermediate plain collared trusses. Pointed
chancel arch has engaged shafts to jambs and hoodmould. Reredos also has engaged
shafts and hoodmould to east window. Tiled aisle and western. Original glass except
to 3 windows to south wall of nave in memory of F.H. Barby, Rector 1939-1958 by
Francis W.S. Keat depicting the story of Saint Mawes, and glass in west window in
memory of William Vincent 1808-1889 and of Louisa his wife 1808-1869. Original
fittings of pitch pine pews with shaped ends, blind trefoil arcaded pupit and
octagonal granite front in Perpendicular style with quatrefoils.
Listing NGR: SW8456833009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings