This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1924 / 50°11'32"N
Longitude: -5.1565 / 5°9'23"W
OS Eastings: 174798
OS Northings: 37250
OS Grid: SW747372
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.FYDV
Mapcode Global: FRA 082J.4XY
Entry Name: Lower Kennal Vale Mill
Listing Date: 17 January 1980
Last Amended: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66249
Location: Stithians, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Stithians
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Stithians
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NW STITHIANS KENNAL VALE
2/263 Lower Kennal Vale Mill
(formerly listed as Lower Kennal
17.1.80 Vale Mill and Stonebuilt Mill leet
Water mill for grinding grain. Circa mid C19. Granite rubble with granite
dressings. Scantle slate roof (partly replaced with corrugated asbestos) hipped at
the front end, gable ends at the rear. Louvered ventilator over the ridge.
Plan: Rectangular former grist mill with wheel-pit for former overshot wheel on the
right-hand side. Later C19 extensions on the left-hand side. Hub of waterwheel and
internal machinery intact. There is a large internal cast-iron gear wheel with
wooden zaps; this wheel drives a smaller cog at either end from which there are drive
shafts across the mill building (within an inaccessible basement) to drive a pair of
stones and other machinery near the front of the mill and to drive other machinery
including a grain cleaner behind. The original machinery is in situ but has been
added to in the later C19 and C20.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Simple unaltered elevations. Front has wide first floor
window opening. There are doorways into the left-hand side and a blocked doorway
into the rear: gable end of the rear left-hand extension. Original rear: gable end has
a ground floor window and loading doorways to the first floor and the attic.
Interior: Floors, roof structure and fittings survive. The floors are on several
levels. Part of the ground floor is a basement to house the axial drive shafts (see
plan). The attic floor is high up in the roof space. There is a very complex
arrangement of ductings, hoppers and both gear and belt driven machinery. Roof
structure has lapped dovetailed struts.
Listing NGR: SW7479837249
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings