This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1184 / 50°7'6"N
Longitude: -5.175 / 5°10'29"W
OS Eastings: 173128
OS Northings: 29086
OS Grid: SW731290
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.8RRH
Mapcode Global: FRA 081P.XBW
Entry Name: The Church Room Including Flight of Steps Adjoining West
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Last Amended: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66076
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Built-Up Area: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NW CONSTANTINE CHURCH SQUARE, Constantine
8/90 The Church Room including flight of
steps adjoining west (formerly listed
10.7.57 as Building East of Lychgate)
The church room, possibly originally the church house, later used as a school.
Probably late C16 or early C17 altered in 1733 (datestone). Dressed granite
steeply pitched slate roof with dressed granite coping to the gable ends with finials
and kneelers. Granite ashlar stack at right hand end with dripcourse.
Plan: 2-storey 1-room plan building. The ground floor room which has direct entry
through a doorway at the centre of the front may be unheated. The first floor room
is heated from a stack in the right hand gable end and access to the room is through
a doorway with external stairs on the left hand gable end.
Exterior: 2-storeys. Asymmetrical 2 window south front facing the churchyard. The
first floor has 2 large C19 4-pane sashes with granite cills. At the centre of the
ground floor a chamfered round-headed doorway with pyramid stops an a C20 plank door;
to the left of the doorway a smaller window opening with a dressed granite lintel and
a C20 top-hung 4-pane window.
The left hand (west) gable end has a wide flight of granite steps up to a first floor
doorway with a long projecting lintel and a stone above with date 1733 and above the
date the initials T.T. and H.B, or H.R.; a late C19 panelled door in what is probably
an C18 doorframe.
The opposite right hand (east) gable end has a narrow late C19 or early C20 4-pane
sash on the first floor with a long projecting lintel similar to that over the
doorway at the oppossite end. There are no openings in the rear wall.
Interior: The ground floor is one large room. The beams of the floor above have
been replaced. The first floor and roof have not been inspected.
In 1785 the vestry book records that "Oliver Glanvill be permitted to keep a School
under the Vestry Room".
According to Henderson the initials. T.T.were possibly for Thomas Trewren.
Source: Charles Henderson,. A History of the Parish of Constantine. pages 39, 221
Listing NGR: SW7312529086
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings