This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1129 / 50°6'46"N
Longitude: -5.3079 / 5°18'28"W
OS Eastings: 163602
OS Northings: 28882
OS Grid: SW636288
Mapcode National: GBR FX8D.3GC
Mapcode Global: VH132.YF9B
Entry Name: The Old Chapel Including Front Courtyard Wall, Gate Piers and Gate
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Last Amended: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142147
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65978
Location: Sithney, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Sithney
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Sithney
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 62 NW SITHNEY CHURCHTOWN, Sithney
7/303 The Old Chapel (formerly listed as
- Methodist Chapel) including front
10.7.57 courtyard wall, gate piers and gate
Methodist chapel now a house including front courtyard walls, gate piers and gate.
1859. Roughly coursed killas rubble front with dressed granite quoins, jambstones,
sills and roof with cast iron ogee gutters and downpipes.
Plan : rectangular aisless plan with galleries.
2 storey elevations. The symmetrical hipped front has central ground floor doorway
with double doors and 2 first floor windows to light the gallery. Each side wall has
3 ground floor and 3 first floor windows, all original 16-pane hornless sashes in
thein original openings.
Interior not inspected but said to have original gallery.
In front of the chapel is a walled courtyard with slurried rubble-coped rubble walls
on 3 sides; one of the walls is parallel to the front of the chapel screening the
doorway; another wall returning towards the front on the left and linked to the
entrance wall beside the road. In the middle of the entrance wall is a gateway with
round-headed square-on-plan granite monolithic gate piers and original wrought iron
gate. The gate has roundels to the lock rail, a top rail ramped up to a point and
spear head finials.
A delightfully simple Methodist chapel and externally unaltered.
Source: Christopher Stell, RCHM, from an inventory of non-conformist chapels, to be
published by HMSO.
Listing NGR: SW6360228882
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings