This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1279 / 50°7'40"N
Longitude: -5.1405 / 5°8'25"W
OS Eastings: 175635
OS Northings: 30031
OS Grid: SW756300
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.X2TM
Mapcode Global: FRA 083P.555
Entry Name: Bosvarren House
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142156
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66000
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SE CONSTANTINE
6/9 Bosvarren House
House. Circa mid to late C18, with circa early to mid C19 rear wing. Granite rubble
with granite ashlar front, the left side hung with scantle slates. Asbestos slate
hipped roof with red clay tiles. Stacks in the side walls with rendered brick shafts
and clay pots. Brick stack over front gable end of rear wing.
Plan: Double depth plan. 2 principal front rooms an entrance hall between with a
dog-leg staircase at the back. An arch in the rear wall of the right hand room leads
to a smaller room behind. The fourth ground floor room is situated behind the left
hand room. These principal ground floor rooms are in a piano nobile and the services
were originally in the basement, but in circa early to mid C19 a single storey
kitchen wing with a basement was built at the back to the right.
Exterior: 2-storeys and basement, the ground floor raised over the basement on a
piano nobile. Symmetrical 5-bay front closely spaced late C18 or early C19 12-pane
sashes in cambered brick arch openings with keystones and granite cills. In the
basement smaller 6-pane sash to left and right of a flight of granite steps with
wrought iron balustrades up to the central doorway in the piano nobile which has a
round head, plain semi-circular fanlight and original 6-panel door.
Blind side elevations.
Rear elevation is nearly symmetrical with large 28-pane stair sash flanked by 16-pane
sashes on both ground and first floors and 12-pane sashes in the basement either side
of the basement doorway which has a panelled door. Immediately to the right of the
stair window there is a smaller fixed light 6-pane window which was originally the
back doorway. All the rear windows are the original sashes in openings with granite
lintels and cills.
The rear wing is single storey over a basement, its inner face has original 12-pane
sash on either side of a central doorway with a plank door approached by a flight of
granite steps. There is also a basement doorway to the left with a plank door.
There is a basement area around the whole house except for the rear wing. It has
granite paving and dressed granite coping to the retaining wall.
Interior: Most of the original internal joinery survives including some mahogany
panelled doors with brass locks and drop handles. The front right hand room has a
moulded cornice and dado rail and an C18 chimney-piece with an eared architrave and
dentilled cornice. A moulded ogee arch leads to the small room behind which has a
glazed china cupboard on either side of the arch with diamond panes and diagonal
glazing bars. The front right hand room has a small C19 chimney-piece and flanking
glazed china cupboards with diagonal pattern glazing bars; a moulded ceiling cornice
and dado rail. The rear left hand room has a late C19 chimney-piece in classical
style. The entrance with its moulded ceiling cornice leads to a simple dog-leg
staircase at the back with a moulded string, stick balusters and square newels with
The first floor rooms were not inspected.
The basement has cobbled and granite flag floors. The kitchen was at the rear left
of the basement and has a fireplace with brick arch.
According to C.S. Gilbert in his Survey of Cornwall of 1820, Bosvarren House was then
the seat of Mrs Boulderson. The earlier house, Bosvarren Farmhouse(qv) is situated
Source: Charles Henderson, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall.
pages 169 to 171.
Listing NGR: SW7563530031
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings