History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boscadjack Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Sithney, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1288 / 50°7'43"N

Longitude: -5.2604 / 5°15'37"W

OS Eastings: 167069

OS Northings: 30505

OS Grid: SW670305

Mapcode National: GBR Z2.917R

Mapcode Global: VH133.R1W2

Entry Name: Boscadjack Mill

Listing Date: 26 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142165

English Heritage Legacy ID: 65919

Location: Sithney, Cornwall, TR13

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Sithney

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Sithney

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Wendron

Listing Text


SW 63 SE SITHNEY

5/240 Boscadjack Mill
-

GV II

Former water mill. Circa early or mid C19. Granite rubble walls with dressed
granite quoins, jambstones and lintels, slate sills. Half-hipped scantle slate roof
grouted with bitumen.
Plan: rectangular plan as built, plus later lean-to on the right, formerly with 2
overshot water wheels behind. Loading doorway in the left hand gable end.
3 storeys, the ground floor lit only at the front, the other floors lit at front and
rear with similar windows. All circa early-mid C19 windows in original openings.
The windows are 16-pane centre-pivotted single lights. Symmetrical 2 window north-
east front with central blocked doorway.
Interior : original axial beam towards rear of ground floor/basement with trimmers
for carrying 2 pairs of stones (stones removed). 2 original heavy cross beams
carrying the second floor; circa mid or late C19 roof structure, otherwise refloored
and fittings removed.
There was a grist mill and stables here in circa 1808, possibly this building or its
predecessor. A C20 painting shows a thatched millers house to the north (adjoinig
present millers house) with a large stone chimney probably C17 or early C18, so there
has probably been a mill on this site at least since then.
An unusually complete mill building. The windows are a particularly interesting
feature.


Listing NGR: SW6706930505

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.