This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1308 / 50°7'50"N
Longitude: -5.3008 / 5°18'2"W
OS Eastings: 164194
OS Northings: 30854
OS Grid: SW641308
Mapcode National: GBR FX9B.DQW
Mapcode Global: VH12X.2ZJ3
Entry Name: Chynhale Methodist Church
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142167
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65924
Location: Sithney, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Sithney
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Sithney
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 63 SW SITHNEY
4/244 Chynhale Methodist Church
Methodist chapel. 1879. Designed by William Bickford-Smith and built by W. Broad of
Porthleven. Faced granite rubble brought to course, otherwise dressed granite
architectural features with some Bath stone. Concrete tile roofs with coped gable
ends. Rendered chimney over the north (ritual east) gable end.
Plan: rectangular aisless 4 + 1-bay plan with 3-bay south front gable end (ritual
west end). 2 porches at either side (west and east walls), the main entrance porches
extending from the third bay from the front and the other vestry porches (with south
doorways) projecting from a lower organ bay at the rear. Early English style.
3-bay south gable end front has weathered buttresses flanking the bays, the right and
left hand buttresses clasping the corners. Tall plinth. Window to each bay the
central 3-light window taller and wider than the flanking 2-light windows. Sills at
the same level. Pointed arches with slender hoodmoulds rising from impost strings,
machicolated gable over. The windows have pointed lancets, 2 to each side window
with quatrefoil tracery over and 3 to the middle window with rose window tracery
over. Leaded lights. Memorial plaque under each window, the middle one to: William
Bickford-Smith (designer of the chapel) 1827-1899, dies at Trevarno. The Bickford-
Smith family vault stands in front.
The side elevations are in similar style: plinths, buttresses between bays,
machicolated cornice and 2-light windows with pointed-arched lights and foiled plate
tracery. The main entrance porches have central doorways to the gable ends with nook
shafts to the jambs and dogs tooth decoration to the pointed arches. The rear
porches 3-light windows (similar to the others) to the machicolated gable ends and
doorways to the front (south) with short nook shafts and stilted 4-centred arches
Leaded glazing in all the windows.
Interior : very complete interior with original features and fittings. The roof
structure of 4 bays is arch braced, the lower braces, pierced with quatrefoils;
meeting a hammer beam, and each truss springs from a corbel. Rectangular plaster
panels with torus moulding between the trusses and purlins. The pointed window
arches have hoodmoulds with carved label stops. Pointed chancel arch to organ bay
has an inner order springing from detached shafts.
Fittings: the seating was supplied by John Berry for the sum of £85-11-6d. Pitch-
pine semi-circular-on plan at the south end (ritual west) and rising in tiers; also
some pews in the level floor area between. The pulpit, chairs and upholstery were
supplied by Criddle and Smith: the pulpit is of several woods, rectangular on plan,
cantilvered out at the front over a pointed arcade with Doric columns, the pulpit
front and sides a blind pointed arcade with Ionic capitals, cinquefoils within the
arches and the tympana carved in deep relief; a stair at the left hand side. The
organ was presented to the trustees; June 1880, by Annie Bickford-Smith, Margaret
Elizabeth Bickford-Smith and Emily Venning Bickford-Smith who died at Camborne on
22nd December, 1868 (inscribed above the keyboard).
Listing NGR: SW6419430854
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings