This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1682 / 50°10'5"N
Longitude: -5.3129 / 5°18'46"W
OS Eastings: 163517
OS Northings: 35046
OS Grid: SW635350
Mapcode National: GBR FX87.F63
Mapcode Global: VH12W.V1ND
Entry Name: The Coach House
Listing Date: 9 April 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142211
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65831
Location: Crowan, Cornwall, TR14
Civil Parish: Crowan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Crowan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 63 NW CROWAN CLOWANCE
1/123 The Coach House
Coach house and stabling, now converted to living accommodation. Circa late C18.
Probably built for the fifth baronet, John St Aubyn (1758-1839). Coursed faced
granite rubble walls with dressed granite quoins, sills, jambstones, voussoirs,
lintels and moulded cornice with modillions. Grouted U-plan scantle slate roofs with
hipped ends. Brick axial chimney over left hand wing.
U-shaped overall symmetrical plan : central coach house doorway breaks forward; 3
coach house doorways in the right hand wing, possibly later inserted, otherwise
formerly stabling with fodder storage and staff accommodation to the 1st floor.
2 storeys. Originally symmetrical 2:1:2 bay principal south east entrance front with
a projecting wing at right angles on either side. The central 2-storey bay is breaks
forward and is surmounted by an open pediment carried on broad consoles. The
pediment has a granite modillion cornice and in the centre of the typanum is a round
painted clock face. A hexagonal-on-plan cupola, with elliptically-arched arcade and
pogoda roof with ball finial, is directly behind over the ridge of the roof. Wide
elliptically-arched doorway with small square window opening over, similar to all the
other 1st floor openings. Tall ground floor window openings have 12 pane hornless
sashes. At ground floor right is a narrow doorway probably an alteration. This
front and the 4 bay flanking wings have granite modillioned cornices. The left hand
wing courtyard facing front has a doorway in the second from left hand bay, otherwise
window openings, the 3rd from left 1st floor window, blind. The right hand wing
courtyard front has narrow doorway left and 3 wide elliptically-arched doorways with
double herringbone-planked doors. The 1st floor right hand window opening is blind
At the front ends of the wings are 2 ground floor and 2 first floor window openings
to each. Some of the openings are blind or blocked.
Interior not inspected.
This is a fine coach house, probably built soon after the Orangery qv. and displaying
the high quality of the C18 work at Clowance (the house front was rebuilt following a
fire in 1843).
Listing NGR: SW6351735046
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings