This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.0944 / 50°5'39"N
Longitude: -5.3657 / 5°21'56"W
OS Eastings: 159373
OS Northings: 27015
OS Grid: SW593270
Mapcode National: GBR FX4F.DZD
Mapcode Global: VH131.YW6H
Entry Name: Wheal Prosper Engine House
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142234
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65788
Location: Breage, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Breage
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Breage with Godolphin and Ashton
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 52 NE BREAGE RINSEY
6/183 Wheal Prosper Engine House
Beam engine house ruin. Circa 1860. Killas rubble with dressed granite quoins and
jambstones, wooden lintels and brick upper stage to chimney.
Rectangular plan with round chimney clasping the rear right (east) corner; thicker
front bob wall (south west) with plug doorway; boiler doorway in rear wall.
Machinery, floors, studwork to second and gable over bob wall, and roof structure
removed. Originally 3 floors over basement pit.
Basement plinth. Central ground floor opening to front bob wall; central opening to
each floor of rear gable end; window opening to each floor of left hand (north west)
wing wall and ground floor opening to right hand wing wall, plus small square
openings in wing walls for removed cross beams. 2 stage tapered chimney with 2
moulded brick collars.
Wheal Prosper worked from circa 1860 to 1866. There was a 30 inch pumping engine
here which had "almost nothing to do, only making about two strokes in three
minutes". In 1860 a 20 inch stamping and winding engine was erected; (this is
possibly what this engine house contained); and 16 head of stamps were worked. These
were also dressing floors here supplied with water pumped from the mine and
distributed with wooden launders.
This engine house, restored in 1970 by the National Trust, stands in unspoilt coastal
moorland near the cliff edge.
Sources : Mines and Miners of Cornwall, (vol. 4) by A K Hamilton Jenkin.
Listing NGR: SW5937327015
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings