This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1334 / 50°8'0"N
Longitude: -5.3984 / 5°23'54"W
OS Eastings: 157232
OS Northings: 31457
OS Grid: SW572314
Mapcode National: GBR FX1B.B0T
Mapcode Global: VH12V.CXX3
Entry Name: Engine House and Associated Ruins at Sw572314, Tindene Mine
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142236
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65791
Location: Breage, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Breage
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Germoe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 53 SE BREAGE TRESCOWE
3/86 Engine house and associated ruins at
SW572314, Tindene Mine
Disused beam engine house and associated remains. Circa 1887.Granite ashlar bob
wall, otherwise granite and elvan rubble walls with granite dressings, round-headed
brick arched openings.
Rectangular on plan, thicker bob wall at north side and round-on-plan chimney
clasping the south-west corner. Bearing wall adjoins the north east corner and a
rectangular boiler house lies at a short distance to the south east.
Floor, roof and machinery removed. 3 storeys over basement. The north bob wall has
central round-headed ground floor opening with granite voussoirs. The
weatherboarding to the 2nd floor and the gable over, are missng. The opposite
(south) gable end wall has large central ground floor opening and opening to each
floor over. The side walls have openings to each floor, one to the middle of the
1st floor, the other openings regularly disposed at left or right. All openings
spanned by round-headed brick arches except the ground floor opening left of the west
wall, which has a timber lintel. The tapered rubble chimney has a brick upper stage.
The whim-wheel bearing walls, in front of the left hand side of the bob wall
overlooking the shaft, have a series of dressed granite blocks with sockets and drill
holes for iron reinforcing rods. Some of these rods are still in situ. On the
opposite side of the shaft is a triangular depression.
The boiler house is of red killas with brick dressings. Round-headed opening at the
north end and remains of openings in the east and south walls.
Worked unsuccessfully in 1887-1892. Erected for a third hand beam pumping engine
with a 60-inch cylinder originally built by Perran Foundry 35 years earlier, in 1852.
The engine was moved, and recylindered to 65 inch, to Sara's Shaft, Wheal Kitty, St
Agnes in 1911.
This engine house is in a beautiful wooded setting and retains much evidence of die
Source: Kenneth Brown, council member of the Trevithick Society.
Listing NGR: SW5723231457
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings