This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1071 / 50°6'25"N
Longitude: -5.3345 / 5°20'4"W
OS Eastings: 161670
OS Northings: 28322
OS Grid: SW616283
Mapcode National: GBR FX6D.H9C
Mapcode Global: VH132.HK7S
Entry Name: The Vicarage
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142239
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65801
Location: Breage, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Breage
Built-Up Area: Breage
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Breage with Godolphin and Ashton
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 62 NW BREAGE VICARAGE ROAD, Breage
7/94 The Vicarage
Vicarage. Circa 1861 but extended and remodelled soon after. Funded by W.H. Smith.
Granite rubble with granite dressings. Irregular gabled or half-hipped steep dry
Delabole slate roofs, central valley between front and rear roofs and cross wing
roofs at higher level at either end. Weathered granite chimneys with tall brick
shafts; over the cross walls.
Deliberately irregular plan designed to give the appearance of an evolved plan: 4
rooms wide and 2 rooms deep; 3 principal rooms on the right hand side of the front
and another reception room behind the right hand room. The principal entrance and
part of the stair are in an outshut projection at the rear in the angle between the
right hand cross wing projection and the rear range. The left hand side of the
house, with cross wing heightened circa late C19 in the same style, is presumably for
service rooms and for servants quarters, also with rear entrance stair.
Two storeys. 1:2:1 bay south west garden front: the 2 middle bays with gabled half
dormered 1st floor windows, French windows below. The left hand taller and gabled 2
storeys plus attic (1st floor string over older ground floor part), inserted ground
floor window. The right hand bay has half hipped end of cross wing with ground and
first floor window, the ground floor window left of middle. The right hand French
window is in its original form with central glazed door and sidelights. This door
and the principal windows of the garden front, the right hand side, and the rear are
similarly detailed. The windows are mostly 3-light casements with 3 sided arch-
headed lights with slender wooden mullions between. The ground floor openings have
relieving arches and the verges have slate barge 'boards'.
The entrance elevation has 1:2:2:1 bays: across wing projecting at the left, porch
and integral stair tower in the angle to the right of the left hand cross wing; 2
windows to right of centre set back; and the taller service cross wing gable end
slightly projecting on the right. The principal doorway, in the second bay, is
moulded with shallow 2-centred arch with hoodmould over. The servants doorway has
similar arch but is narrower and chamfered. The Principal stair window (3rd bay) is
the largest window in the house. This 3-light window and the 2-light stair window
over the servants doorway are transommed, the other windows are like those at the
Interior partly inspected. The original stair and principal architectural features
A substantial Victorian house, virtually unaltered, and built of attractive local
Listing NGR: SW6167028322
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings