This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6059 / 50°36'21"N
Longitude: -2.4597 / 2°27'34"W
OS Eastings: 367564
OS Northings: 78570
OS Grid: SY675785
Mapcode National: GBR PY.DMTZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 57QG.RJP
Entry Name: Edwards Homes
Listing Date: 22 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467690
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6778NE JAMES STREET
873-1/23/203 (East side)
Group of 5 almshouses. 1894, endowed by Sir Henry Edwards.
Broadmayne brick with Portland stone dressings, slate roofs
with scalloped clay ridges.
PLAN: part of a larger group which starts in Rodwell Road
(qv), this section has a T-plan block set gable-end to Rodwell
Road, with a detached pair at the far end, all in a Tudor
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, each with 1 window under a flush face
gable. All windows are 3-light casements with stone transom
and mullions, alternating flush jamb stones and plain lintel;
those at ground floor have small labels, continued over the
doors to Nos 10 & 11; the upper lights have small-scale
diamond panes in cast-iron, and the lower lights small
rectangular panes. Above the first-floor window to No.14, and
extending above the lintel is a panel with the date 1894. The
doors, on stone steps, and paired to Nos 10 & 11, have 3 small
panels below glazed lights to 4-centred heads under a deep
transom light with diagonal panes.
A rock-faced stone plinth, with a thin stone band to the
brickwork at approx 0.6m above it, and a similar sill band at
first floor. The gables, with a blind lancet to stone sill and
head, are coped, on kneelers, and with roll-mould
saddle-stones. At each party wall and end gables are raised
coped verges, and the brick stacks have high stone cappings
Above each of the doors is a Portland stone sunk panel with
the monogram EH and a lion's head, surmounted by a label with
a raised centre. Nos 10 & 11 are 3-panel doors with 3 upper
glazed panels to 4-centred heads under a deep transom light;
above these are Portland stone panels with a carved lion's
head, and EH monogram, under ogee heads. The doors to Nos 13 &
14 are in the internal angle to the short projecting wing,
with a slated porch on deep Portland stone brackets. There are
original cast-iron downpipes with square hopper-heads,
The return to Rodwell Road has a large external stack, with
stone offset at first-floor level, and a niche with decorative
terracotta tiles inset, and below a gabled 'label'; the stack
has been cropped below ridge height. To each side, at ground
floor, is a single-light window to detail as the main front.
Various rear projections, and single-light windows at each
On the outer corner of the building, set on the splay, is a
large Portland stone panel, to a 'nodding-ogee' head, above a
shield with coat of arms, and 'Perseverance', inscribed: THESE
HOMES WERE ERECTED AND ENDOWED BY SIR HENRY EDWARDS.
A.D.1894.' Sir Henry was Mayor of Weymouth, MP for the
constituency, and a considerable benefactor in the town.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
These almshouses are richly detailed, and externally remain
little altered; there is a further almshouse group in similar
detail, in Rodwell Avenue (qv).
Listing NGR: SY6756478570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings