This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2407 / 52°14'26"N
Longitude: 0.7131 / 0°42'47"E
OS Eastings: 585340
OS Northings: 263744
OS Grid: TL853637
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.F3W
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9YV5
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142338
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467702
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NW WESTGATE STREET
639-1/15/681 (South side)
07/08/52 Church of St Edmund
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Edmunds (Roman
Catholic church. 1837. By Charles Day of Worcester; in Grecian
style. Red brick with a stone-faced facade. 3 bays. A
projecting central entrance portico with 2 tall fluted Ionic
columns in antis is approached by a flight of stone steps.
Plain red brick to sides with a stone cornice band and a row
of 5 diamond-leaded attic windows in recessed reveals.
INTERIOR: the surround to the main entrance was a marble
fireplace, a composite piece, with doors belonging to the 2
altar surrounds of c1735, which were originally doorcases. All
these features came from Rushbrooke Hall in 1959. The
pilastered interior, remodelled in 1877, has a partly glazed
and deeply coved panelled ceiling with rosettes. The short
sanctuary is behind a screen of 2 Ionic columns.
To the west of the church is the apsidal Blessed Sacrament
Chapel. This was originally built as a private chapel and
formed part of the adjoining Presbytery (qv) but was formally
licensed for Roman Catholic worship in 1791, later falling
into disuse. It was linked to the church and re-dedicated in
1979. A Lombard frieze surrounds the walls, which are
rendered. A contemporary crypt runs below the whole of the
church and is fully used for community activities. 2 red brick
arcades of shallow rounded arches support the upper floor.
On the north side 3 arches are blocked; they contain reset
early C19 gravestones commemorating some of the Jesuits who
were responsible for the C18 and early C19 organisation of the
Roman Catholic congregation in the Bury St Edmunds area.
(Rowe J: The Story of Catholic Bury St Edmunds, Coldham, etc.:
bury St Edmunds: 1980-: 14).
Listing NGR: TL8534063744
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings