History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old College, Outbuilding Adjoining Left Gable End of College, Wall Adjoining Right Front of College

A Grade II* Listed Building in Week St Mary, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7519 / 50°45'6"N

Longitude: -4.4991 / 4°29'56"W

OS Eastings: 223810

OS Northings: 97674

OS Grid: SX238976

Mapcode National: GBR ND.1VKT

Mapcode Global: FRA 17G3.323

Entry Name: The Old College, Outbuilding Adjoining Left Gable End of College, Wall Adjoining Right Front of College

Listing Date: 29 September 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142422

English Heritage Legacy ID: 67271

Location: Week St. Mary, Cornwall, EX22

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Week St. Mary

Built-Up Area: Week St Mary

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Mary Week

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Week Saint Mary

Listing Text

WEEK ST MARY WEEK ST MARY
SX 29 NW
6/86 The Old College,
outbuilding adjoining left
29.9.61 gable end of College, wall
adjoining right front of
College

GV II*

House, formerly grammar school, outbuilding and wall. Built 1508 for Dame
Thomasine Percival who endowed the school. C20 alterations and repairs.
Coursed polyphant with granite dressings and slate roof. Present building
survival of larger complex (qv New College and Hayescroft). Single depth plan
with left gable end polyphant chimney probably rebuilt and massive rear granite
lateral stack with off-set weatherings and moulded granite cap. Perhaps with
worn merlons. This stack is gabled back to the roof. Granite coping and quoins
to right gable end. Rear left stair turret. 2-storey, 4-window range with
slatestone rubble moulded plinth. Off-centre, moulded, granite 4-centre arched
doorway with shield in tympanum and floral motifs in spandrels. Ground floor
windows renewed and or repaired, 3-light casements 6 panes per light with
glazing bars and new timber lintels. 2 rear 3-light ground floor windows with
pointed heads and hollow-chamfered granite mullions below square-headed hood
moulds with label stops, diamond leads. Ground floor room right is hall with
slate floor and moulded granite fireplace, lintel probably renewed. Kitchen to
left of entrance has renewed polyphant fireplace. Moulded granite arch into
stair turret. Stairs altered, moulded granite arch with ogival apex from stairs
into first floor raised about 45 cm. Principals visible in upstairs room. Roof
timbers partly renewed, remaining older timbers circa C18. Single-storey
outbuilding adjoining left gable end of college has 2 blocked rear windows with
moulded granite jambs; 1 has hood mould and label stops. Battlemented coursed
polyphant wall adjoining right front of range and running along street front has
granite moulded coping to merlons and embrasures. Narrow opening to partially-
blocked turret in thickness of wall, on college side, possibly for ringing bell.
Thomasine Bonaventure was born in Week St Mary and eventually married Sir John
Percival, Mayor of London, 1498-9. The foundation of Week St Mary Grammar
School was similar to the foundation of Macclesfield Grammar School, founded by
Sir John Percival in 1503. The grammar school at Week St Mary was the third of
its kind to be founded by a woman. The deed of endowment has survived (qv
Marhayes). Cornwall County Record Office, AD.405. Alterations and repairs by
Paul Pearn in 1975 for the Landmark Trust. An etching by Miss Hawksworth from a
drawing by S Porut of the entrance appears in Relics of Antiquity or Remains of
Ancient Structures, with Other Vestiges of Early Times in Great Britain, London
(1811). P L Hull, The Endowment and Foundation of a Grammar School at Week St
Mary by Dame Thomasine Percival, reprinted from The Journal of the Royal
institution of Cornwall, New Series, Vol.VII, Part 1, 1973.


Listing NGR: SX2381097673

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.