History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tolleshunt D'arcy Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.77 / 51°46'11"N

Longitude: 0.7935 / 0°47'36"E

OS Eastings: 592837

OS Northings: 211614

OS Grid: TL928116

Mapcode National: GBR RN1.X16

Mapcode Global: VHKGH.PST0

Entry Name: Tolleshunt D'arcy Hall

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Last Amended: 5 February 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142513

English Heritage Legacy ID: 353168

Location: Tolleshunt D'arcy, Maldon, Essex, CM9

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Tolleshunt D'Arcy

Built-Up Area: Tolleshunt D'Arcy

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Tolleshunt d'Arcy St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Tolleshunt Knights

Listing Text

TOLLESHUNT D'ARCY CHURCH STREET
TL 9211-9311
(east side)
7/55 Tolleshunt D'Arcy Hall
10.1.53 (Formerly listed as The Hall,
Tolleshunt D'Arcy with Dove-
GV II* cote and Bridge)

House. Early C16 and late C17. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade
red clay tiles. 5 bays facing approx. S, with external stack at rear. C18/C19
single-storey extension to right. A late C17 wing of 3 bays extends forward
from the left end of the main block, now forming the entrance/reception block,
forming an L-plan, with one axial stack at the junction and one at the end. 2
storeys. E elevation of S wing, ground floor, 3 C18 sashes of 12 lights and one
C20 French window; first floor 3 similar sashes. Central 6-panel door in simple
doorcase with dentilled open pediment on scrolled brackets. The W elevation
(towards Church Street) has a 3-window range of similar sashes and a similar
central door and doorcase. The S elevation of the main block has an original
door of moulded overlapping planks, heavily nail-studded, with moulded jambs,
and moulded lintel carved with flowers in quatrefoils, and 3 plain lights above.
The roof has gablet hips at both ends. The interior of the main range retains
the original screens passage, one bay from the right end, the rear door blocked,
with part of a doorhead of 4-centred curvature. The wall to the right has 2
original service doorways with moulded jambs and 4-centred heads, the spandrels
carved with pomegranates and foliage; the post between the doorways is carved
with spiral leaf ornament; above the doorheads is a moulded, carved and
crenellated cornice. The soutnern doorway retains the original door of fluted
planks with 8 curvilinear recesses. On the left side of the screens passage is
a re-sited original door with linenfold panelling. Early C17 panelling
elsewhere. Jowled posts, close studding, partly exposed internally and wattle
and daub infill. A blocked first-floor doorway at the right end, with plain
head, implies the former existence of an east wing. Edge-halved and bridled
scarfs in the wallplates, which are partly hollow-chamfered, partly rebated for
former panelling. The crown post roof is complete, with cranked tiebeams
hollow-chamfered below, plain-chamfered above. Cross-quadrate crownposts with
plain stops and 4-way arched braces. Rafter holes in all the full-length
rafters, on the E side only (towards the service end). Soulaces to every rafter
couple. Most of the roof components retain original yellow paint (some of it original yellow paint (some of it
whitewashed over), a rare feature which deserves special care. The absence of
smoke-blackening indicates that this block was floored throughout from the
outset, heated by an external chimney, although it is not certain that the
present stack is original. The S wing has jowled posts, chamfered transverse
beams and a clasped purlin roof. The middle ground-floor room is lined with
re-sited panelling, including early C16 linenfold, with a range of carved panels
at the top and near the middle; the upper carved panels have conventional
foliage and various heads and figures, including a mermaid, eagle and child, and
grotesques, and the initials A.D. (for Anthony Darcy). The lower carved panels
have conventional foliage and cartouches with the Darcy arms differenced by a
crescent, and the initials A.D.; the panelling is finished with a crenellated
cornice. There are 2 wallposts in the form of Ionic pilasters, having carved
foliage. The ceiling has re-used moulded and traceried beams with moulded ribs
forming traceried designs. It appears that all or most of these features are
original to the house, removed from the main block. RCHM 2, which includes
illustrations. John Darcy acquired the manor by marriage at some date before
1471. His son Anthony served as Sheriff of Essex and Hertfordshire in 1511, and
as a J.P., and died in 1540. The main range of the house appears to have been
constructed by him, and the panelling with his initials to be original. Moated
site.


Listing NGR: TL9283711614

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.