This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2339 / 50°14'2"N
Longitude: -5.2248 / 5°13'29"W
OS Eastings: 170125
OS Northings: 42078
OS Grid: SW701420
Mapcode National: GBR Z3.DBMP
Mapcode Global: VH12K.DD71
Entry Name: Redruth Methodist Church
Listing Date: 12 September 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66881
Location: Redruth, Cornwall, TR15
Civil Parish: Redruth
Built-Up Area: Redruth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Redruth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
REDRUTH WESLEY STREET
SW 74 SW
Redruth Methodist Church
Methodist church. Dated 1826 in gable. Granite ashlar facade; otherwise,
slobbered granite rubble; slate roof. Rectangular plan, 6 x 8 bays, gable to road.
Two storeys and 6 bays, symmetrical, in simple classical style; the pedimented
facade has a 1st floor band (carried round the whole), and a 4-bay ground floor
colonnade between projected porches to the 1st and 6th bays; the porches, which
are of channelled masonry, rectangular in plan and flat-roofed, each have a large
round-headed doorway with rusticated voussoirs and large keystone; the
colonnade, of slender Tuscan columns with a plain frieze, protects round-headed
doorways in the 2nd and 5th bays, and round-headed windows in the 3rd and 4th
bays; all these doorways have panelled double doors with quadrantal overlights;
between the windows is an added war memorial. The 1st floor has 6 round-
headed windows, and the pedimented gable contains panels with raised lettering:-
"WESLEY" "1826" "CHAPEL"
and added lettering below this:-
"REDRUTH METHODIST CHURCH" "
The return walls have 8 round-headed windows on each floor. Interior: a
continuous gallery carried on fluted iron columns with foliated capitals, the
gallery front having rounded open panels containing cast bronze open-work; flat
ceiling with pierced roundels; very ornate late C19 pulpit, and on the wall behind
this, 3 round-headed wooden Commandment Tables; large and ornamental organ
case mounted on gallery above pulpit.
Listing NGR: SW7012542078
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings