History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

70 and 72, Fore Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Redruth, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2334 / 50°14'0"N

Longitude: -5.2273 / 5°13'38"W

OS Eastings: 169941

OS Northings: 42028

OS Grid: SW699420

Mapcode National: GBR Z3.DHYQ

Mapcode Global: VH12K.BDWF

Entry Name: 70 and 72, Fore Street

Listing Date: 11 April 1986

Last Amended: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142560

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66829

Location: Redruth, Cornwall, TR15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Redruth

Built-Up Area: Redruth

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Redruth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Redruth

Listing Text

REDRUTH FORE STREET
SW 64 SE
(south side)
11/272
Nos.70 and 72
11.4.86 (formerly listed as No.72)
GV
II
Wholesale grocery shop and warehouse, now 2 shops. c.1870, extended c.1890;
altered. Granite ashlar (ground floor), yellow brick with dressings of red
brick and elvan (roof not visible). Rectangular plan, plus rear wing. Three
storeys and 6 bays (first 2 bays added); the ground floor has piers with
acanthus caps, in the 1st bay (which is narrower) a round-headed doorway
with polished granite columns, and in the next 2 bays original segmental-
headed shop windows, the 2nd with banded head; the upper floors have giant
Composite pilasters, bands of blind arcading between the floors, sill-bands
of red brick, 4-pane sashed windows at 1st floor with set-in shafts, and
banded segmental heads under stilted polychrome arches, and at 2nd floor
paired round-headed windows with central shafts and red brick bands round
the heads. The roof is concealed by a prominent modillioned cornice topped
by white brick pedestals bearing carved stone finials. The right-hand
return wall of 7 bays is in matching style above ground floor, except that
the 1st floor of the 2nd bay has 2 raised panels in place of a window, and
the 7th bay has no openings, and the cornice stops in the 1st bay. The rear
has blocked loading doors at 1st and 2nd floors, with a wooden hoist under
a pitched canopy. The rear wing, of 3 bays, has similar loading doors in
the centre but is altered at ground floor. Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SW6994142028

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.