History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coffee Tavern

A Grade II Listed Building in Redruth, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2331 / 50°13'59"N

Longitude: -5.2273 / 5°13'38"W

OS Eastings: 169940

OS Northings: 41994

OS Grid: SW699419

Mapcode National: GBR Z3.DHYV

Mapcode Global: VH12K.BDWN

Entry Name: Coffee Tavern

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142583

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66794

Location: Redruth, Cornwall, TR15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Redruth

Built-Up Area: Redruth

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Redruth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Redruth

Listing Text

REDRUTH ALMA PLACE
SW 74 SW
(west side)
11/240
Coffee Tavern
GV
II
Coffee tavern, now cafe and amusement arcade. Dated 1880 over door. Killas
rubble brought to courses, with granite and sandstone dressings painted white,
slate roof. Rectangular plan. Gothic style. Two storeys and 3 bays over a
basement, symmetrical except for the right-hand corner; moulded imposts bands
and sill-bands. Tall gabled centre, breaking forwards slightly, contains wide
entrance with set-in colonettes and depressed arched head with roll-moulding,
the extrados inscribed "OPENED BY LADY JANE VIVIAN MAY 13 1880"
(foundation stones in plinth on each side dated Dec.2 1879); ogee cresting over
entrance arch flanked by carved panels with foliation interlacing raised lettering
"COFFEE" (to left) and "TAVERN" (to right); bracket above entrance carrying
lamb with cross and flag; large 2-centred arched 3-light window at 1st floor
with multifoil head; gable with flanking pinnacles and apex finial. Outer bays
have 2-light basement windows beneath large square ground floor windows
(glazing presumably altered); and, at 1st floor, casement windows of 3 arched
lights with colonettes. Chamfered right-hand corner with 2-centred arched
doorway at ground floor, above this a corbelled oriel with windows like those at
the front, and conical roof. Interior altered.


Listing NGR: SW6994041994

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.