History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pump Engine House at Taylor's Shaft of New East Pool Mine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2311 / 50°13'51"N

Longitude: -5.2626 / 5°15'45"W

OS Eastings: 167416

OS Northings: 41881

OS Grid: SW674418

Mapcode National: GBR Z2.2DPS

Mapcode Global: VH12J.QGR6

Entry Name: Pump Engine House at Taylor's Shaft of New East Pool Mine

Listing Date: 9 April 1975

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66733

Location: Carn Brea, Cornwall, TR15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Carn Brea

Built-Up Area: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Saint Illogan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Illogan

Listing Text

CARN BREA TREVITHICK ROAD
SW 64 SE
(east side, off)
5/177 Pool
9.4.75 Pump engine house at
Taylor's shaft of
New East Pool Mine

GV II*

Pump engine house, now National Trust museum. Dated 1924 on keystone of
driver's window; built by East Pool and Agar Ltd mine; slightly altered, and
restored. Coursed squared granite, window arches of brick, wooden shuttering to
beam opening and cantilevered steel-frame bob platform, slate roof. Rectangular
plan on north-south axis, with bob wall to south, altered pumping plant in shaft
in front of bob wall. Four stages, with round-headed openings including the
driver's window in the bob wall, which has granite ashlar voussoirs with a raised
keystone inscribed "1924", and radiating glazing bars; a large raised cylinder door
in the rear wall with glazed and panelled door and matching side windows all
under a semicircular fanlight with radiating glazing bars; and various sashed
windows with radiating glazing bars. The bob-plat at the front is divided in the
centre where the front of the beam is coupled to the plunger of the pump.
Interior: contains 90-inch cylinder engine designed in 1892 by Nicholas Trestrail
with 52½ ton beam made by Harvey & Co.Ltd at Hayle, originally at Carn Brea
Mine and purchased second-hand for use here; and all associated controls, etc.
History: very late and fine example of traditional Cornish engine house,
constructed at new shaft sunk in 1922 to enable old workings of East Pool Mine
to resume production after a fall of ground in 1921 had destroyed 2 other shafts;
continued working until 1953; the shaft is still used as part of the drainage
system of South Crofty Mine.
Forms group with its associated chimney stack (q.v.)


Listing NGR: SW6741641881

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.