History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boiler House Attached to Chimney on East Side of Pump Engine House to Marriott's Shaft on South Wheal Frances Sett

A Grade II Listed Building in Carn Brea, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.209 / 50°12'32"N

Longitude: -5.2518 / 5°15'6"W

OS Eastings: 168074

OS Northings: 39389

OS Grid: SW680393

Mapcode National: GBR Z2.3X3K

Mapcode Global: VH12Q.X0FM

Entry Name: Boiler House Attached to Chimney on East Side of Pump Engine House to Marriott's Shaft on South Wheal Frances Sett

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142627

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66701

Location: Carn Brea, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Carn Brea

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Redruth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Illogan

Listing Text

CARN BREA PIECE
SW 63 NE
8/153 Boiler house attached to
chimney on east side of pump
engine house to Marriott's shaft
on South Wheal Frances sett

GV II
Boiler house to former tin mine, now derelict. Probably 1890's, for South Frances
United Mine. Granite rubble with quoins, brick arches to openings; now roofless
and partly dilapidated. Rectangular plan on east-west axis. One storey and 6
bays; each long wall contains an arcade of 6 round-headed arches, the 1st and
6th in the front wall now broken but those in the rear wall intact, and the front
wall also has a segmental-headed doorway at the left end, and remains of 4
square windows over the arches; the right-hand gable wall has a round-headed
doorway near the front corner, 2 round-headed windows at a higher level, and a
circular window in the apex. History: contained 6 Lancashire boilers, providing
steam for pump, winder, compressor, crusher, and capstan. Reference: Palmer &
Neaverson op.cit.
Part of a very impressive group of remains of one of the best equipped mines in
Cornwall, closed in 1918.


Listing NGR: SW6807439389

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.