History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Vestry

A Grade II Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2129 / 50°12'46"N

Longitude: -5.3012 / 5°18'4"W

OS Eastings: 164569

OS Northings: 39985

OS Grid: SW645399

Mapcode National: GBR FX93.SLD

Mapcode Global: VH12J.2X94

Entry Name: Parish Vestry

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142654

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66576

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Built-Up Area: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Camborne and Tuckinghill

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Listing Text

CAMBORNE CHURCH LANE
SW 63 NW
(south side)
10/31
Parish Vestry
GV II

Parish Vestry building. Dated 1820 on lintel of former door in rear wall,
altered. Facade of snecked killas rubble with granite quoins but covered
with render above ground floor, sides and rear of uncoursed rubble; slate
roof. Rectangular plan, gable to road but facing churchyard, with added
porch at north end. Two storeys; the facade to the churchyard is of 3 bays
under 2 gables, symmetrical, in Tudor style, with 3 wide Tudor-arched
openings at ground floor (a window and 2 doorways) and 3 windows at 1st
floor, all with chamfered surrounds and hoodmoulds and all the windows of
2 lights with chamfered mullions and diamond leaded glazing (but that at
ground floor boarded at time of survey, 1988); a rectangular granite panel
in each gable, and gable copings with apex finials. The left (north) gable
wall has a flight of external steps to a doorway at 1st floor, protected by
a brick porch of c.1900; and to the left of this a large rendered panel
with pilastered architrave and stilted segmental head enclosing raised
lettering "PARISH VESTRY". The rear has inter alia a former doorway with
lintel inscribed "1820". Interior not inspected. History: ground floor was
used as lock-up 1820-1858. Probably erected in consequence of Sturges
Bourne's Act of 1819, which empowered parishes to appoint select vestries
"for more effectual execution of the laws for the relief of the poor" (the
style being a reference to the Tudor origins of the Poor law); as such, a
rare survival of a building for this purpose, and the earliest Local
Government building in the area covered by this list.


Listing NGR: SW6457039984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.