History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Penponds Church Institute and Chapel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.203 / 50°12'10"N

Longitude: -5.3128 / 5°18'46"W

OS Eastings: 163694

OS Northings: 38919

OS Grid: SW636389

Mapcode National: GBR FX84.M6Y

Mapcode Global: VH12P.V5P6

Entry Name: Penponds Church Institute and Chapel House

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142664

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66601

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Penponds

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Listing Text

CAMBORNE HIGHER PENPONDS ROAD
SW 63 NW
(west side)
7/55 Penponds
Penponds Church Institute
and Chapel House
GV II
Church of England Infants School, now meeting rooms. 1849. Uncoursed
killas rubble with granite quoins and dressings, slate roofs. Rectangular
plan. Single storey; the asymmetrical facade of the Institute, which is
essentially of 3 bays but with 4 windows, has a doorway in the left bay
with a modern board door and shallow overlight, and tall 18-pane sashed
windows with exposed boxes: one to the left of the door, 2 in the centre,
and one in the right-hand bay. Chimney at right-hand gable. Chapel House,
continued to the right, is lower, and of 4 bays, with a doorway in the 1st
bay (abutting the junction) and three 12-pane sashed windows also with
exposed boxes; and a chimney at the right-hand gable. Rear and interior
not inspected. History: built on the site of Mrs Percival's Endowed School
of 1761 (referred to on wall monument in Church of St Martin and St
Meriadocus, Church Street, q.v.). Reference: Charles Thomas Mrs Percival's
Endowed School at Penponds and Treslothan, Camborne, 1761 to 1876
(1982). Included for group value with Ivy Cottage to the left and
Trevithick's Cottage opposite.


Listing NGR: SW6369438919

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.