This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.546 / 50°32'45"N
Longitude: -4.7271 / 4°43'37"W
OS Eastings: 206886
OS Northings: 75351
OS Grid: SX068753
Mapcode National: GBR N2.GX66
Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZM.B7C
Entry Name: Former Chapel 40 Metres to South East Tinten Manor
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Last Amended: 4 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143021
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67791
Location: St. Tudy, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Tudy
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Tudy with Michaelstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NE
2/161 Former chapel 40 metres to south
east Tinten Manor (formerly
6.6.69 listed as Chapel at Tintern Manor
Private chapel, now used as store. Circa C16 orgins, partly altered in early C18
(datestones RB 1708 and IB 1719) and front probably partly rebuilt in later C18 or
early C19. Finely coursed slatestone rubble and quartz. Slate roof with gable ends.
Plan: Rectangular plan with entrance in north side.
Exterior: Single storey. North elevation probably partly rebuilt in late C18 or
early C19 with 2 windows with dressed stone segmental arches flanking central C19
plank door. Datestone RB 1708 and IB 1719, (Bligh family) flanking the jambs of the
door. Circa C15 east window of 3-lights with cusped heads; the mullions appear to
have been altered because holes for the horizontal saddle bars do not align.
Interior: Piscina with depressed arch in sough wall and chamfered rectangular
opening of aumbry in north wall. A floor has been partly inserted at the west end
and the roof has been replaced in the late C19 or early C20.
In 1330 Ralph Beaupel was granted a license to celebrate Divine Office by a fit
priest in an oratory in the mansion of Tynten (Bishop Grandisson's Reg. Vol II fo.
31) In 1396 a license was granted to John Ratheny, knight and Lady Alice his wife,
to celebrate Divine office in the chapel of St Nicholas within the Manor of Tynten.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876.
Listing NGR: SX0688675351
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings