This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6704 / 50°40'13"N
Longitude: -4.7233 / 4°43'23"W
OS Eastings: 207664
OS Northings: 89172
OS Grid: SX076891
Mapcode National: GBR N2.74L4
Mapcode Global: FRA 07Z9.KPW
Entry Name: Chapel of St Piran
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143411
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68874
Location: Tintagel, Cornwall, PL34
Civil Parish: Tintagel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Tintagel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 08 NE
4/217 Chapel of St Piran
Chapel, probably converted to outbuilding after the Reformation and converted back
into a mission chapel dedicated to St Piran. Possibly C15 origins although the
building has been much altered; the walls were lowered in 1887 and the fabric heavily
restored in 1941 when it reverted back into a chapel.
Local slate stone rubble. Rag slate roof with gable ends. Rectangular single cell
plan with earlier entrance in north side blocked and entrance inserted in west gable
Low building of single storey with several straight joints in the masonry on the
north side; blocked door on north side and partly restored 2-light chamfered granite
mullion window with cusped lancet towards the west. Plank door to entrance in west
gable end with row of pigeon holes above and 1-light segmental arched east window.
Interior : Simple pitch pine furnishings and C20 stone altar. Circa late C19 collar-
The first mention of a chapel dedicated to St Pirans is in a licence granted by the
bishop to Parson Gregory to celebrate mass in 1457. The building appears to have
been used for agricultural purposes since the Reformation although the documentary
evidence is scanty. The Tithe Apportionment maps (1841) mark a Chapel Meadow
adjoining the site.
Canner, A C The Parish of Tintagel, some historical notes 1982
Listing NGR: SX0766489172
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings