This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6741 / 50°40'26"N
Longitude: -4.6552 / 4°39'18"W
OS Eastings: 212487
OS Northings: 89410
OS Grid: SX124894
Mapcode National: GBR N5.6XQH
Mapcode Global: FRA 1749.8U4
Entry Name: Tregrylls
Listing Date: 20 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68769
Location: Lesnewth, Cornwall, PL35
Civil Parish: Lesnewth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Otterham, Saint Juliot and Lesnewth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 18 NW
Farmhouse. Possibly mid C18, extended on right in late C20. Slate stone rubble with
granite quoins, dressed stone flat arches to ground floor openings and slate-hung
above ground floor on front elevation. Scantle slate roof with gable end on left and
extension on right with half hipped end. Brick stack on left hand gable end and
brick axial stack, originally end stack on right.
Original plan uncertain; probably single depth two room plan, entrance to right of
centre with large room on left and smaller room on right, both heated by end stacks.
Circa late C18 or early C19 outshut added to rear, heated by stone rubble lateral
stack with brick shaft. Extension of one-room plan added on right hand gable end in
circa mid to late C20.
Two storeys. Regular 4:1 window front, probably with C20 replacement sashes on
ground and first floor. Ground floor; two 12-pane sashes with flat dressed stone
arches, C20 stone rubble porch and wider 16-pane sash to right with rusticated flat
dressed granite arch and keystone. 16-pane sash in extension on right. First floor
with 4 12-pane sashes with further 12-pane sash in extension on right.
Interior not accessible.
The estate of the Gryles was mentioned in 1303 when held by John de Grylls. Passed
from E.J. Glynn to Lord Churston and later seat of Betensons. Several memorials of
Betenson family in churchyard of St Michaels, Lesnewth (qv).
Tregrylls commands a prominent position in the unspoilt landscape of Lesnewth parish.
Polsue, J. Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1872, reprinted 1974.
Sites and Monuments Register, Truro, Cornwall.
Listing NGR: SX1248789410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings