This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6868 / 50°41'12"N
Longitude: -4.5958 / 4°35'45"W
OS Eastings: 216730
OS Northings: 90670
OS Grid: SX167906
Mapcode National: GBR N8.6195
Mapcode Global: FRA 1788.7CH
Entry Name: Otterham House
Listing Date: 20 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68791
Location: Otterham, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Otterham
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Otterham, Saint Juliot and Lesnewth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 19 SE
3/117 Otterham House
Rectory, now a private house. Circa 1830-40. Local shale rubble with granite
quoins, lintels and plinth; slate window cills; part of left hand (south) side is
slate hung and the back wall is slate hung. Rag slate hipped roof with widely spaced
shaped brackets to the soffit of the deep eaves; black-glazed ridge tiles, but no hip
tiles. Rendered symmetrically placed axial chimney stacks with granite caps.
Plan : Deep rectangular, almost square, double depth plan. 2 principal front rooms
with a central entrance passage between leading to the stairhall situated behind the
right hand room, and the servants stair in a side entrance lobby behind the left hand
room. 3 service rooms at the back; the kitchen to the left, the servant's hall at
the centre and the pantry to the right.
2 storeys and cellars. Symmetrical 3-bay east front. 3 original C19 8-pane sashes
on the first floor; 2 original C19 2-light French doors on the ground floor with
moulded wooden mullions and transoms, each casement has 3 large panes with overlights
above; their granite cills are continued as a plinth. Plain central doorway with the
original C19 4-panel door and rectangular fanlight of 2 panes.
Left hand (south) return partly slate hung has one 16-pane sash and another C20 pane
sash, and a single stone rubble porch with a hipped slate roof and its right side
wall continued forward as a screen wall to the front garden with an integral mounting
block on the end of the wall.
Right hand (north) return; large round-headed stair sash with glazing bars, 2 small
12-pane sashes and a cross mullion-transom window lighting the pantry.
Rear (west) has 2 windows disposed towards the left; 20-pane sashes and on the ground
floor left a 3-light wooden mullion window to the pantry. All the windows have the
original C19 frames.
Interior : the interior joinery is largely intact including panelled doors, moulded
door frames and the staircases etc, but there are no moulded plaster cornices. The
hall passage has an elliptical arch. The narrow stairhall has an open-well staircase
with stick balusters and a moulded handrail wreathed over the curtail and an open
string with shaped tread ends. The back servants' stair rises from the cellars has
turned newels with bun-shaped finials and stick balusters. The left hand front room
has the original black slate chimney-piece with moulded pilasters and frieze and
moulded brackets supporting the mantelshelf. The right hand front room has similar
chimney-piece with large consoles instead of pilasters. The kitchen fireplace has
large single slate chimney-piece with chamfered edges.
Listing NGR: SX1673090670
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings