This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6837 / 50°41'1"N
Longitude: -4.6951 / 4°41'42"W
OS Eastings: 209705
OS Northings: 90586
OS Grid: SX097905
Mapcode National: GBR N3.6CSH
Mapcode Global: FRA 1718.JNH
Entry Name: Barn Park
Listing Date: 20 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143495
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68680
Location: Forrabury and Minster, Cornwall, PL35
Civil Parish: Forrabury and Minster
Built-Up Area: Boscastle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Forrabury
Church of England Diocese: Truro
FORRABURY AND BARNPARK ROAD, Boscastle
SW 0990 MINSTER
77/17 Barn Park
House now divided into two. Circa 1820s, possibly with earlier origins, extended in
mid C19. Slate stone rubble, rendered and stuccoed on front elevation. Slate roof
with gable end on front left and hipped end on front right. Brick stack in valley
between left and right hand ranges and projecting side lateral stack on right.
Particularly interesting C19 plan although the thick wall and projecting lateral
stack on the right hand wall may indicate earlier origins. Overall 'L' shaped plan;
comprises range on right with entrance on right leading to entrance hall with
reception room on left, central stair hall and main reception room across rear of
right hand range. Range on left comprised service range, extended in circa mid C19 on
front left with one-room range. Additional service rooms including dairy and wash-
home in cellar. Bedrooms on first floor of both ranges lead off central landing
running across home.
Two storeys and basement. Regular 1:2 window front. Gable end of mid C19 extension on
front left with partly blocked opening with dressed stone segmental arch and C20
glazed doors on ground floor and replacement sash in similar arched opening above.
The right hand range is set back and flanked by incised pilaster strips, the right
hand projecting. Renewed 12 pane sash and C20 panelled door in partly blocked opening
with two renewed 12-pane sashes on first floor. The insurance plaque 'West of
England, Exeter' on front elevation.
Interior with C19 features largely complete including moulded cornices, doors and
doorcases with reeded architraves. Circa mid to late C19 marble chimneypiece in main
reception room and open well stair with simple turned newel, stick balusters and
moulded rail. Timber newel back stair. Basement with copper and dairy intact. First
floor with ornate plaster rose above stair wall, plaster carbelled brackets to three
arches on landing, moulded cornices.
Barn Park was the residence of John Rosevear, general merchant, who was responsible
for the erection of Boscastle Chapel in 1801 and for the rebuilding of the chapel in
circa 1823-5. Rosevear was a particularly controversial figure in the Camelford and
Wadebridge Methodist circuit. Later residence of W.S. Rosevear, deputy Lieutenant and
Magistrate of Cornwall in circa 1870s.
Polsue, J. Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1872, reprinted 1974.
Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743 - 1963, 1963.
Listing NGR: SX0970590586
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings