This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1875 / 50°11'15"N
Longitude: -5.3707 / 5°22'14"W
OS Eastings: 159488
OS Northings: 37382
OS Grid: SW594373
Mapcode National: GBR FX35.YJ8
Mapcode Global: VH12N.VKL3
Entry Name: Harvey Tomb at Approximately 2 Metres North of West End of Church of Saint Winnear
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70122
Location: Gwinear-Gwithian, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Gwinear-Gwithian
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gwinear
Church of England Diocese: Truro
GWINEAR-GWITHIAN GWINEAR CHURCHTOWN
SW 53 NE
4/27 Harvey tomb at approximately 2
metres north of west end of Church
- of Saint Winnear
Chest tomb. Circa 1850. To John Harvey, who established a foundry at Hayle, died
1803 aged 73 ; Joanna (Pearce) died 1807, aged 73 and Henry their son, died 1850 aged
73, after an active life in which he largely developed the harbour of Hayle together
with the foundry and the trade at that port. Dressed and polished granite.
Rectangular-on-plan sarcophagus chest standing within an outer kerb with fence. The
chest has a moulded plinth and cornice and hipped lid ; the fence has 8 cast-iron
trust stanchions with acanthus plinths and ball finials carrying chains with
alternate rectangular and spiked links. The ironwork is presumably by the family
firm (Harveys of Hayle).
John Harvey and Anne Pearce were the parents of Jane who married Richard Trevithick,
the famous engineer.
Listing NGR: SW5948737383
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings