This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1512 / 50°9'4"N
Longitude: -5.4263 / 5°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 155333
OS Northings: 33522
OS Grid: SW553335
Mapcode National: GBR DXZ8.WT4
Mapcode Global: VH12T.WGPG
Entry Name: Carbis Mill
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143736
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70023
Location: St. Hilary, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: St. Hilary
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Hilary
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 53 SW
2/119 Carbis Mill
Miller's house and adjoining mill. Datestones 1754. Probably rebuilt circa early
C19. Granite and elvan rubble with dressed granite quoins, jambstones and lintels.
House roofs : asbestos slate, with gable ends and brick chimney over left hand gable
end. Mill roof : taller than house; scantle slate with gable ends.
Plan: 2 room house left with possibly later outshut behind left hand side and single
storey lean-to behind right hand side; rectangular mill, right of house, with
machinery removed circa 1960's (formerly with overshot wheel on right hand side and
at rear). The house has kitchen, left, and slightly smaller parlour right with lobby
and stair between. The room behind the kitchen has a fireplace (possibly for
washhouse) and the room behind the stair and parlour was formerly a pig's house.
Exterior : 2 storey house and 3 storey mill. House has nearly symmetrical 3 window
south-west front with doorway slightly right of middle, 4-panel door with flush-
beaded panels and circa early Cl.9 12-pane hornless sashes. Stone over doorway
inscribed : FE 1753 and stone in left hand gable end inscribed 1753.
Mill, right, has slightly irregular 2 window front. Doorway towards left with small
window on either side. Jambstone, far left, inscribed : JW 1874. Loading doorway
over ground floor doorway. Ledged doors. Shutters to second floor windows. Gable
end, right, has large ground floor doorway (cut C20), holes for machinery over and
small gable window with reused millstone as lintel. Rear has holes for machinery to
thicker ground floor wall and 2 windows to each floor above.
Interior of house has C19 carpentry and joinery.
Listing NGR: SW5533333522
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings