This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1244 / 50°7'27"N
Longitude: -5.4731 / 5°28'23"W
OS Eastings: 151849
OS Northings: 30701
OS Grid: SW518307
Mapcode National: GBR DXVC.5SK
Mapcode Global: VH130.24XG
Entry Name: Friends Meeting House
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69941
Location: Marazion, Cornwall, TR17
Civil Parish: Marazion
Built-Up Area: Marazion
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Marazion
Church of England Diocese: Truro
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/11/2016
Friends Meeting House
Quaker meeting house. Circa 1688 remodelled 1742 and circa 1880. Granite rubble
walls with some cob at the rear. Wooden lintels. Scantle slate roof, gabled to the north west, hipped to the south east.
PLAN: rectangular aisle-less plan with rostrum/pulpit at the east end and doorway
originally to middle of south wall (now window), but in the C19 a doorway was cut in
the middle of the west gable end. Probably originally there was a gallery at the
west end. C20 extension front.
EXTERIOR: Single storey. Symmetrical 3-window south front with probably 1742 paired
12-pane hornless sashes with wide internally ovolo moulded glazing bars and some
crown glass; in the former central doorway is C19 copy with thin glazing bars. C19
shutters with chamfered stiles and rails.
Left-hand gable end has central doorway with C19 4-panel door in bowtell-moulded
(possibly C18) frame and hood over carried on shaped brackets; above the doorway a
C19 12-pane 2-light casement.
INTERIOR: original rostrum with simple balustrade with splat column balusters with
ovolo moulded cornice to the handrail and to the square-on-plan newel posts with ball
finials; original settle with shaped ends behind and flanked by probably later
settles at lower level on either side. 1880 roof structure.
Cobbled path at the west end.
The plan of this meeting house is like the one at Come-to-Good (q.v.), Feock, and there
were probably many other similarities before the C19 alterations. The C18 sashes are
particularly notable and rare features.
Source: An Inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels, by Christopher Stell RCHM
Listing NGR: SW5184930701
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings