History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pennans Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Grampound with Creed, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3051 / 50°18'18"N

Longitude: -4.8737 / 4°52'25"W

OS Eastings: 195460

OS Northings: 48967

OS Grid: SW954489

Mapcode National: GBR ZS.DT8B

Mapcode Global: FRA 08P7.73H

Entry Name: Pennans Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 71359

Location: Grampound with Creed, Cornwall, TR2

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Grampound with Creed

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Grampound with Creed

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Grampound

Listing Text

GRAMPOUND
SW 94 NE WITH CREED
6/17 Pennans Farmhouse
7.1.52
GV II*

Farmhouse. Circa 1680; remodelled and extended circa 1700 - 1720. Some alterations
of circa mid C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Slatestone rubble; the front
faced in granite ashlar. Hipped slate roofs with lead rolls to hips and crested ridge
tiles. Stacks to rear with brick shafts and stack at the right side with ashlar
shaft.
Plan: The original house is of 2-room plan, with central entrance to entrance hall
and principal room to left and right, each room heated from a rear lateral stack. At
the rear of the entrance hall is a projecting stair tower, with entrance to a cellar
to rear right. In circa 1700 -1720, a wing was added to front right and left to form
a symmetrical U-plan. The wing to front left may never have been completed; it is
attached at the front left corner of the original house and does not appear ever to
have had access from inside the original house. The wing to front right has one room
at the right end of the original house, and a lateral corridor with stair well; the
front room is heated from a stack at the right side. In C20 a one-room plan addition
was made to rear left as a kitchen.
Exterior: 2 storeys, a symmetrical U-plan front, with 5 bays in the main central
range, and a wing projecting to front right and left, each wing of 3 bays. There is
a plinth, which is continuous but of later date on the wings, and heavy moulded
cornice; the centre bays have a moulded string course, which is continued as a flat
band course around the wings. The central range has a central C18 6-panelled fielded
door in eared architrave with pediment. Two 18-pane sashes to right and left in
exposed boxes with moulded stone cills and voussoirs; some sashes are of the early
C19 and some C20 replacements. First floor has central blind window with stone
shield of arms, 2 similar 18-pane sashes to right and left.
The inner side of the wing to right has early C18 6-panelled and fielded door to left
with 8-pane overlight with thick glazing bars, flat-faced outside and ovolo-moulded
inside, with voussoirs and keystone. At first floor to left an 18-pane sash of early
C18, with thick glazing bars, voussoirs and keystone. To right, ground and first
floors have blind window with moulded cill, voussoirs and keystones. The front of
the wing has three 18-pane sashes with thin glazing bars at ground and first floor,
all with moulded stone cills, voussoirs and keystones: the plinth and band course are
continued.
The wing to left is gutted: on the inner side are two blocked windows at ground and
first floor, with moulded stone cills, voussoirs and keystones. Plinth and band
course, with the cornice partly remaining. The left side of the wing has been
partially rebuilt in C20, 12-pane sash at ground and first floor to left and blind
window at ground and first floor to right.
The right side of the house is in random rubble; plank door with overlight and C18
panelled door with overlight, both under pentice hood of slurried slate. First floor
has one C19 12-pane sash with voussoirs and 16-pane sash with flat brick arch, the
voussors remaining from formerly higher lintel level. Single storey outhouse
attached to right, probably also of C18, with plank door and 3 blocked windows with
granite voussoirs; corrugated asbestos roof, with window and double door to rear.
The rear of the main house has a projecting stair tower to centre with hipped roof,
late C18 round-arched 12-pane sash with splayed glazing bars and keystone. C20
window at lower level to right. Large external stack to left of the stair tower. At
lower level to left, a 2-light 4-pane casement with granite voussoirs, to the cellar.
There is a straight joint in the masonry to left, to the addition of early C18;
ground floor has 3 windows, the centre one blocked, all with voussoirs, to right and
left there are 2-light casements with 8 panes or 6 panes. At first floor there is a
central blind window, late C18 18-pane sash to left and early C18 18-pane sash with
thick glazing bars to right, with cambered brick arches. To the right of the stair
tower, there is a 2-storey C20 addition set in the angle to the main range and
concealing the rear lateral stack to right. This has door, and window at ground and
first floor.
Interior: In the main central range, the entrance passage leads to the stair tower
to rear, which retains a fine open-well stair of circa 1680, with barleysugar twist
balusters and ramped moulded handrail. The front right room at ground floor has
complete bolection-moulded panelling with dado cornice and central plasterwork on the
ceiling, with rosettes. C19 chimneypiece to rear. The front left hand room has a
late C17 plaster ceiling with a simple moulded oval. At first floor, the room to
right also has complete bolection-moulded panelling with early C18 chimneypiece to
rear, with eared architrave and modillions below the mantel; 2-panelled bolection-
moulded door. In the wing to front right, the internal features are of the early
C18, with some C19 alterations; at ground floor,the front room had modillion cornice
and
8-panelled fielded door, with C19 dresser built in and C19 kitchen fireplace at the
outer side with mantel. C20 range inserted. The lateral passage in the wing has
fielded dado panelling, and the stair hall has a plaster cornice with rosettes and
modillions. Tight open-well stair with turned balusters and wide moulded handrail,
ramped dado panelling. At first floor, the front room has 8-panelled fielded door,
modillion cornice and fielded panelling; there is a closet at the outer side of the
room, with complete fielded panelling and modillion cornice, and a small room,
possibly another closet to the mid left side of the wing, also with fielded
panelling. There is a service stair to the attic.


Listing NGR: SW9546048967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.